Looking for a reliable and easy maintenance car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I spotted a nice 2015 Camry with the 2.5, 45,000 km on it. I wanted to go for a Hyundai accent or elantra 2017, but the Camry is tempting.

Price is no issue for this, I want reliable and easy access to replacement parts.

Thank you

I would go for the Camry. A Toyota port injected engine and a conventional 6 speed A/T combo will go for many miles.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Hi folks,

I spotted a nice 2015 Camry with the 2.5, 45,000 km on it. I wanted to go for a Hyundai accent or elantra 2017, but the Camry is tempting.

Price is no issue for this, I want reliable and easy access to replacement parts.

Thank you

But gee if you half maintain the Camry you're only going to get about another 255K out of it!

I plan to get rid of my cruze, I'm on the third thermostat, it started to rust in the rear fenders, and I need 4 new winter tires, which I don't want to buy for this car anymore since I want to get rid of it, also the intake manifold is messed up, there is a linkage that came off loose from a solenoid that opens the top of the intake when it's cold I guess, kind of choke, apparently I need the whole intake to be replaced, which I'm not going to do

These newer cars with their adjustable valve timing via solenoid controlled camshaft phasers is what would give me pause to selecting a car based on reliability. The other issue are these very long timing chains that need chain tensioners to keep the chain from skipping teeth on the cam sprockets. I just got though watching a video about a 2011 Chevy Equinox that had been to four different dealers with lots of parts thrown at it and still nobody could figure out why the engine kept shutting off while under light throttle. Finally it was determined that the timing chain had skipped two teeth on one of the intake camshafts.

Either a Hyundai, Honda, or Toyota. OEM parts for Hyundais are very cheap and the cars are reliable regardless of what others say. Wouldn't go with a Nissan, they're the equivalent to a Chrysler.

I like Camry's and Toyota products a lot. There are 3 in my extended household!

But please check out Toyota Nation, first, and I refer you to the lockup clutch torque converter issue on the model year 2012 plus Camry's, i.e. the 2.5 litre 4 cylinders ones. The automatic transaxles are different between the 2.5 I4, and the 3.5 litre V6, and the former is less durable. When the vehicle is driven in normal, non-sport mode, the torque converter goes into an operating mode that repeatedly shuttles the converter clutch from locked to unlocked, and back again many times... somehow to supplement the 6 speeds of the 'box, in effectively giving the transaxle another drive gear. It is a "partially locked" converter clutch. They apparently do a software mod... to lessen this tendency, but once the friction and wear materials get introduced into the 'box, well, the end is in sight.

When driving the car, it feels like the vehicle is going over slightly rough pavement... that is the lock/ un-lock shudder and feel. This apparently has not been rectified 'till the '18 model, which has a different transaxle.

The only fix, on the four cylinder model, is to drive in Sport mode... and to have done this from the get-go.... i.e. from day one... or go after the V6 powered model, that has the superior durability transaxle.

[Quote-Cdn17Sport6MT]: When driving the car, it feels like the vehicle is going over slightly rough pavement... that is the lock/ un-lock shudder and feel. This apparently has not been rectified 'till the '18 model, which has a different transaxle.

The only fix, on the four cylinder model, is to drive in Sport mode... and to have done this from the get-go.... i.e. from day one... or go after the V6 powered model, that has the superior durability transaxle.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Yes, Toyota did have some issues with their automatic trannys(as did/does the whole industry). I did have 2 friends that had their trannys replaced however, they were still under warranty. Then these folks drove the car to a very long life or are still driving the car and have passed it onto their children. Statistically, Toyota's are very reliable as I mention below.

I have introduced many folks to Camry's from the other brands they were driving. They all had issues with their current brands and like wolf_06, wanted something that was easy maintenance/longevity.

When they bought Camry's(new or used) they never looked back. They all pushed their Camry's to beyond 250K miles and just drove them on & on. And the Camry's don't seem to rust as fast as other brands. Minimal rust even after 15 yrs in the salt belt of NY State.

Last edited:
Of all modern cars Hyundai seem to be the easiest to work on. If you do your own maintenance that may be a factor.

With proper maintenance you should see 200k+ miles on most cars before wear becomes an issue. On reputation the Toyota is likely to be more reliable. But there are owners of cars with a great reliability reputation that regret the day they bought their money pit, just as there are owners of cars with poor reputations who enjoy unfailing reliability. There always will be exceptions.

Both a cars which few owners regret buying. perhaps one might have an advantage such as a larger trunk or whatever, or a dealer who is on your doorstep, which could sway your decision.

Claud.

For a reliable if unexciting daily driver, a Camry would be a good choice.
I don't know what the market is like in Canada, but here you can get really good prices on new '17 Toyotas along with concessionary financing, so I'd check that out as well.

I love Hyundai and the brand has always been good to me but I would go for the Camry in this instance if it's the right price.

I also had a 2011 Cruze that I purchased new....so I understand why you are getting rid of it.
The Camry does seem to be reliable although certain years weren't (2007 IIRC)....The Ford Fusion with the 2.5 engine would be another good choice and it's more exiting to drive too....

Originally Posted By: boom10ful
Either a Hyundai, Honda, or Toyota. OEM parts for Hyundais are very cheap and the cars are reliable regardless of what others say. Wouldn't go with a Nissan, they're the equivalent to a Chrysler.

My community prefers Toyota to Hyundai, not that Hyundai being problematic, but its parts are pricey and weak stocking by distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back