Looking for a reliable and easy maintenance car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Hi folks,

I spotted a nice 2015 Camry with the 2.5, 45,000 km on it. I wanted to go for a Hyundai accent or elantra 2017, but the Camry is tempting.

Price is no issue for this, I want reliable and easy access to replacement parts.

Thank you

Camry. Does even bare minimum maint and it will last 250k.

It was a wake up call for me when I changed the oil in my daughter's '06 Corolla for 150K miles. When I drove it, it could out drive the 528e. This yr I have come into the 3rd millennium. 2 Camrys, both CPO '16s. I didn't do the buying. I set the priorties and turned my wife loose. 4 cylinder, not gray in color. Her SE with heated seats is a dark blue metal flake. My LE is white as befits an appliance. So far, the car's construction and finish impresses me.

The best way I've ever heard Toyotas described is that they are simply appliances, like a microwave or dishwasher. They just do what they're supposed to, and you'll never be excited to use it. If your only goal is to get from point A to point B without drama or enjoyment, most Toyotas will be a stellar choice.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The Camry might not be the most fun, but they’re definitely boringly reliable.
Aftermarket parts can make a Camry less sleep inducing.

I've seen the new Camrys with quad exhaust. What models are those? Must be the top of the line ones.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Of all modern cars Hyundai seem to be the easiest to work on. If you do your own maintenance that may be a factor.

I bet the Hyundai has an interference engine with a timing belt, and the Toyota does not (it either has a chain or is non-interference if it has a belt). This needs to be a consideration.

Wolf, is it a dealer you will be buying from? Do you intend to use this dealer for warranty and service at some point? Dealer is easily accessible to you? Like said, there's a reason you see lots of Camrys on the road and in taxi service. They do their thing well, at low cost and for a long time. I never really understood the "boring" thing you always hear people say. To me, every mid/large sized 4cyl, FWD sedan in this segment is pretty much the same in terms of driving and comfort. Then again, I began driving in late 70's, early 80's cars, so pretty much everything today is a treat in comparison IMO. You have lots of choices. Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, Malibu, etc..etc.. My personal favorite is a Camry LE with the 16" steel wheels w/ wheel covers. I think they soak up bumps better and are better in the snow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I bet the Hyundai has an interference engine with a timing belt, and the Toyota does not (it either has a chain or is non-interference if it has a belt). This needs to be a consideration.

If maintained properly why is an interference engine any more maintenance than a non-interference engine?
21.gif

I find Hondas to be slightly more fun to drive than a Toyota, but both are reliable if you get a simple, well maintained one.

Yup, exacly what I wanted, 16 on steel wheels.

Another thing to keep in mind.. If you like doing your own oil changes, keep in mind newer Camrys have that annoying bottom load canister oil filter. Not a spin-on filter. I find them annoying for the DIYer, but wouldn't consider this a deal breaker at all. My mom has a 2016 and my brother had a 2005 until he traded it in a few months ago. Our closest Toyota dealer actually follows the 10000mi OCI recommendation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

Another thing to keep in mind.. If you like doing your own oil changes, keep in mind newer Camrys have that annoying bottom load canister oil filter. Not a spin-on filter. I find them annoying for the DIYer, but wouldn't consider this a deal breaker at all. My mom has a 2016 and my brother had a 2005 until he traded it in a few months ago. Our closest Toyota dealer actually follows the 10000mi OCI recommendation.
I really like the accent, spin on filter, timing chain, underbody decently protected, simple suspension, regular thermostat, no dexos1 obligations..

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
The best way I've ever heard Toyotas described is that they are simply appliances, like a microwave or dishwasher. They just do what they're supposed to, and you'll never be excited to use it. If your only goal is to get from point A to point B without drama or enjoyment, most Toyotas will be a stellar choice.

That's a great description of Toyotas.

On the flip side, if you want superb handling with spirited performance buy a Jaguar, BMW, or VW. I just hope that you like the coffee in the service dept waiting room.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
These newer cars with their adjustable valve timing via solenoid controlled camshaft phasers is what would give me pause to selecting a car based on reliability. The other issue are these very long timing chains that need chain tensioners to keep the chain from skipping teeth on the cam sprockets. I just got though watching a video about a 2011 Chevy Equinox that had been to four different dealers with lots of parts thrown at it and still nobody could figure out why the engine kept shutting off while under light throttle. Finally it was determined that the timing chain had skipped two teeth on one of the intake camshafts.
That engine would run bad with the timing chain jumping 2 teeth.

Originally Posted By: JTK

How annoying is it for the DIYer? I'm about to push the buy on oil, filters and washers. Where did you buy the special socket? TIA
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
It was a wake up call for me when I changed the oil in my daughter's '06 Corolla for 150K miles. When I drove it, it could out drive the 528e. This yr I have come into the 3rd millennium. 2 Camrys, both CPO '16s. I didn't do the buying. I set the priorties and turned my wife loose. 4 cylinder, not gray in color. Her SE with heated seats is a dark blue metal flake. My LE is white as befits an appliance. So far, the car's construction and finish impresses me.

A great car for the money and Camry reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back