Looking for a particular 12v switch

I am looking for a particular switch for my tractor. John Deere 316 garden tractor. I have a switch that controls my headlights and tail lights, two positions, on and off. I would like to add a small LED backup light to see behind me when I am snow blowing. So I'd like the switch to have three positions. I am looking to have them like such (see below). Is there a type of switch that accomplishes this with its internal wiring/pins/soldering?

----------
| ON | Headlight/Tail Lights + Backup LED
----------
| ON | Headlight/Tail Lights
----------
| OFF |
----------

If it was my project, I would just ty the new led light into a tail light, and call it a day. Led's hardly use any power so you won't notice any change in operation. Plus, why spend money and invest time, to fix something if it isn't really broke?.,,,

Double pole double throw switches are commonly available. The only difference is that OFF is in the middle. Would that work?
I'd check McMaster Carr or one of the other industrial supply places.

Does the switch provide hot, or provide ground?

I think that you could use a double throw switch which was wired to have the grounds connect in different ways depending upon which set is connected.

+1 a DPDT On/Off/On toggle switch will be least costly off the shelf part. Get the one with rubber sealed lever. For the complexity of getting the switch then figuring out the wiring why not just get an On/Off switch drill a hole in the dash and wire it as auxiliary light? The offroad SxS switches would also be cheap/plentiful look on Amazon.

Another idea, get a weatherproof on/off switch and mount it on the LED housing/mount. then run the wire to the taillight for power/ground as needed.

These are common:
16320040_atc_85989_alt2_pri_larg.jpg

Pushed in is off, pull to first click one circuit on, pull all the way out both circuits on.
Not very weatherproof though.

Last edited:
Back