Looking for a Hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is going to upgrade from her 2007 Mazda 3 sedan. She wants a hatchback again. She totaled her 2005 Matrix a few years ago and loved that car. The Matrix is no longer made and she is looking to buy a new 2019 or used 2018. What do you think are the best hatchbacks out there?

I bought a 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback 3 weeks ago and I'm very happy with it so far. It is available with a standard transmission but for the first time in my life I opted for a auto (CVT) trans. I'm a pretty simplistic person and the only 3 items I really need in a car are A/C, cruise control, & intermittent wipers so I went with a SE model V the XSE.
I didn't finance and paid $19,400 OTD.
https://tinyurl.com/y6px6bfz

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cb450sc
My daughter is going to upgrade from her 2007 Mazda 3 sedan. She wants a hatchback again. She totaled her 2005 Matrix a few years ago and loved that car. The Matrix is no longer made and she is looking to buy a new 2019 or used 2018. What do you think are the best hatchbacks out there?

How long does she tend to keep cars? They have a Corolla hatchback once again. I like the way they look. Mazda 3 is also nice.

One of my favorite vehicle categories and lots to choose from. Depending on the cost/price range and level of quality & refinement she is looking for, there are some really good ones from the subcompact(RIO, FIT, NOTE) to the compact segment(Mazda3, Civic, Corolla and Golf) are hard to beat as are the Elantra GT/FORTE' 5 cousins. And even though I never gave it much thought, the KIA Soul is supposed to be a wonderful vehicle.

I am assuming that the compact hatch category is what she is looking for and they're all hard to beat. I hope she has a priority & criteria list as far as what is most important to her due to some:

*Get better fuel economy than the others
*Are easier to see out of
*Have better rear seat & hatch room
*Are comfortable & quieter/nicer to drive/more daily livable
*Have higher reliability
*Higher vs lower cost of ownership

Last edited:
Love my 2013 VW Golf. I have a TDI which can be picked up right now pretty cheap due to the Diesel Gate scandal. 2 year unlimited mile warranty... Otherwise the gasser versions are just as nice. I really like the way the Golf rides and drives, very planted VS the Mazda 3 or pretty much any other little tinny hatch.

The new 2019 Mazda 3 Sport is available with all wheel drive. It is a very nice car in all aspects...and the warranty is unmatched in Canada: Unlimited mileage/5 year powertrain

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Kia Forte or Subaru Impreza or VW Golf.

All under 17500. out the door.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
The new 2019 Mazda 3 Sport is available with all wheel drive. It is a very nice car in all aspects...and the warranty is unmatched in Canada: Unlimited mileage/5 year powertrain

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Impreza which is more wagon-like. But then, the Civic is more liftback than hatchback. And I also forgot that the Mazda 3 is now available in AWD. These are other areas that the OP's daughter may want to consider.
smile.gif

Good Luck,

CB

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by cb450sc

How long does she tend to keep cars? They have a Corolla hatchback once again. I like the way they look. Mazda 3 is also nice.

She will probably hang onto it for 5 to 7 years.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Kia Forte or Subaru Impreza or VW Golf.

All under 17500. out the door.

There's still a Rio hatch, which looks worse than the last one. Sadly the Forte hatch has been dropped, sad, because the sedan interior is a big improvement. The new Mazda 3 hatch looks MUCH better in person (at least to me) than it does in pictures. The new Corolla hatch looks very good, but almost subcompact in size. I'd recommend a '20 Soul, but Kia declared them a CUV a couple of years ago-- for the record, I LOVE my car. Ford might be giving Focuses away since the whole name is going into the trash bin. Same for the Cruze hatch, which I always thought looked good.

Last edited:
2018. Mazda3 Grand Touring can be easily had for under $20K

The 2019 Corolla hatchback is kind of ugly... so is the Mazda3 hatchback.

New 2019 Mazda3 are highly rated .

I have heard of a number of issues with build quality with the Cruise although I think it and the Corolla have the best lines. Is the Cruise going out of production? My son has a 2015 Forte 5 and it seems to be an okay car. It is not GDI or have a CVT. Both pluses in my book. My daughter looked at the Mazda 3 and didn't like the looks of the new one. She said she saw a 2015 model on the lot that she liked the looks of better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back