Looking for a good Chile Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a good recipe for Chile, and haven't found one yet. All seem to have too much tomato sauce for my liking.

If you have a good one, please post..

What kind of chili? Just a good ol regular chili, or like a Texas style with no beans?

My family's recipe is:

1 big can of crushed tomatoes (or diced if you like them more chunky), might take 2 cans depending on how much liquid is left after simmering

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of beans (you can add black, pinto, kidney) make sure to rinse the beans

1 chopped onion

2 pound ground beef

lots of chili powder to taste, salt, pepper, thyme, cumin to taste

I add green pepper, and sometimes celery to mine. You can add whatever you like.

Brown the beef half way, drain any fat, and add onion/veggies and saute with beef until it's cooked. Then throw everything else in the pool basically and simmer it for a few hour. Add seasonings to taste and more crushed tomatoes or water to thin it out of you like.

This recipe isn't too tomatoey since it uses crushed or diced tomatoes and not tomato sauce (which would be disgusting).

Last edited:
most recipes follow Drew99gt recipe or structure - you can use use cubed meat from a roast or chuck and then use Masa to thicken which is basically fine ground corn.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What kind of chili? Just a good ol regular chili, or like a Texas style with no beans?

Yep.

I was born in Dallas. My wife was born in Cincinnati. We have very different ideas of what chili is.

I don't even call her concoction "chili". It's "meaty bean stew". It's a very tasty "meaty bean stew" but it is not chili.

Google "Tolbert's Red" or "Perdenales River Chili" for Texas style. Or Google "Cincinnati style chili" for tasty meaty bean stews.

One thing we agree on, is the importance of a proper Dutch Oven. I used to really like the crock pot but my wife has this 50 odd year old enameled Dutch oven and It somehow improved an already great chili recipe.

I have it down to a science with the slow cooker
1.5# Ground beef
1# log of SPICY sausage
1 white onion
1 large green pepper diced
32oz can of crushed tomatoes
16-28oz can of tomato juice
1.5-2 pkgs chili seasoning
2 cans of black beans drained and rinsed
salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, and cinnamon to taste
8hrs on low.
You can ground the beef/sausage first and drain it for less fat. Either way it is good.

Thanks to Drew99GT, and dwcopple for the recipes; I will try them both. I guess I am more used the the "normal" style with beans as opposed to the Texas style, but that sounds good as well.

Oh, and thanks to "Professor" Ctrcbob for pointing out my spelling error...
crazy2.gif

Discovered this recently...simple, quick, nice and SPICY.

1 lb ground beef
1 LARGE Vidalia or other sweet onion cut into chunks, not diced
1 can Rotel HOT Diced Tomatoes w/ Habaneros
1 can Bush's or Brooks HOT chili beans

Nothing else needed...no additional spices, nothing.

Brown beef and onion, drain. Add beans and tomatoes. Cook at least 1/2 hour or up to all day in the crock pot.

Done.

A tip for those who want real meat in their chili but would like to reduce the fat.

Saute the meat in some water, then rinse it under a faucet in a colander. GREATLY reduced fat and no high temps which contribute to other hazardous compounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back