Looking for a good cartridge type filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new 2010 Toyota Sienna with 3.5L V6. It takes a cartridge type filter. I want a well made american filter (or at least not from china or mexico). Does anyone know who makes these and a good place to get one?

Thanks

The first few oil changes will be around 5,000 miles, but I'll run at least 10,000 miles if not more after break-in. I'm go to use Red Line oil.

That's right Red Line in a mini-van.

Wix makes decent cartridge filters, but I'm not sure where exactly they're manufactured. RockAuto sells them, among others.

Mahle/Knecht cartridge filters I use in the 5er are also solid, made in Austria. Not sure if they make one for your application though.

mahle_oil_filter.jpg

i know bosch makes american made filters, so does ac delco and purolator..is sienna made in usa?...i bought a ohio made G5 and the ac delco cartridge filter looks good that i was given for it by dealer

i can see why you bought a sienna it is assembled in your home state...i work at a supplier so i buy domestic cuz they need the bizness, but we make transmission parts for toyota too

American owned and American made cartridge filters are hard to find. My last one came in an AC box, but was made by Hengst in America. I had been buying made in America Purolators, but I am sure some of my dollars go back to Germany with either. I am not sure I am patriotic enough to spend an extra buck on ST, or if they are made in America.

I wish I could remember the numbers better. Long ago, I was the big frog in a small pond, very small, but had my own P&L statement. Most of our cost was materials, with labor only being 3%. I know I was tagged but good for corporate overhead, likely more than the 3% labor. We were compounding vinyl. There is actually more pounds of American rock going into the vinyl than petroleum. Polyethylene and many other plastics are close to 100% oil wherever it comes from.

Most of our vinyl went to Mexico and came back as automotive wiring harnesses.

If you are concerned about supporting fellow Americans, you need to look at where the materials come from and where the profits go too.

I found my filter. I went around to all the stores and looked at every filter I could get my hands on. Then, I ordered 4 TRD filters from Toyota of Dallas $9.14 each. Local they are about $13. The TRD filter is very nice and american made. The filter looks like it is made by champion.

Quote:
The myth that won't die.

Its not out of the goodness of their heart. NAFTA rules on vehicle content and the have to source at least 62.5% in the USA.

Quote:
Byline: Lindsay Chappell

Ten years ago, the industry bickered about how much North American content was necessary for a vehicle to qualify for duty-free treatment under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

The debate is about to be reopened. Next month, Canadian, Mexican and U.S. trade officials will hold meetings to discuss changing content levels.

Not surprisingly, the industry is returning to the same sides it took 10 years ago. Foreign-based automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp. have asked the government to consider reducing NAFTA's local content requirement from 62.5 percent to 50 percent. The Big 3 wants the current percentage to remain intact.

When the NAFTA debate first raged in the 1990s, some groups, including the UAW...

I hope you like your Sienna. I have a 2008 and it has been quite the let down. I have posted some reviews so I won't go in to the "Toyota quality" myth.

I'll just say that I wish Ford made a minivan.

As for your filter forget it. I have made several post on here about that as well. The only filters that can easily be found are Wix, OEM, and Fram. They are all sourced from Asia (not Japan).

M1 has the best filter for our application by a long shot. It has been on the market for over a year and nobody stocks it and ONLY Vatozone claims they can order it. The price is right around $20 if you can actually find one.

The van is a major PIA to change oil on due to the idiotic filter housing. I HATE that setup. So I am thinking of going to Amsoil or M1 EP and the $20 M1 EP filter for 15K oci just to eliminate some oil changes on the PIA filter.

My sienna rattles like an 85 Chevy monte carlo and at 26K miles the drivers seat pops and sounds like it is about to break not to mention the bad cat converter at 3K miles. I hope you fare better

Quote:
I think it's funny how almost the entire line of Honda and Toyota have more American parts than Domestic Car Companies.

Prove it.

Anybody know of an American made one by an American company? I hate sending my dollars to either foreign fat cats or peons if I can buy American of equal value.

Mike_dup1,

There is nothing to prove. Go to the dealer and they have the little window sticker that shows country of origin on the the parts used in the vehicle. The sienna has 85%. The dodge was 70%. The honda was between 80-90% can't remember other than I know it was over 70% Our Honda Accord was made in Ohio I believe. I know a lot of the newer ford cars are made in mexico. The dodge sellsman told me their extended cab trucks are made in mexico. I know the prius is made in Japan. Several toyotas are made pretty local to me. The camry, sienna, venza, and tundra were made in Indiana/Kentucky, but now the tundra is made in texas.

I wouldn't mind owning a car made in Canada, Germany, Japan, or in Europe. Just not a big fan of Korea, Mexico, China, and India.

I've owned a 2005 F-250. On my drive home from the dealer the check engine light came on. It was a bad turbo. The turbo was replaced, egr valve 2 times, rear power window had to be pulled, transmission needed rebuilt. The list goes on and on. It was the 6.0 that Ford and Navastar keep sueing each other over to cover the warranty work.

My wife has ban me from buying american. Well we are anti Kia and Hyundai too. We have owned 3 Honda's all had over 80,000 mile when we sold them and never had a problem of any type. Great resell too.

I have a friend that has a 2004 Sienna same body style and she has, last I talked to her, 104,000 miles and loves the car. My family member that works at the Sienna plant loved theirs. Pretty much everyone I know when looking at minivans had it down to the Honda or Toyota. I haven't heard anyone talk bad about either. Go to a dodge dealer and get in a dodge. It looks like they took one plastic press and made the interior. It's very cheap when compared with the Honda and Toyota. The Honda drives more like a car, but has more road noise. The Toyota is larger.

I don't monitor all this stuff. I just bought a new van, and test drove and looked at several except the Nissan. Hands down Honda and Toyota are the real choices in minivans.

I was always a Ford person. The superduties are made right here in Louisville, Ky. Get in a ford they are getting very cheap and moving more factories to Mexico. Just not a lot I see that I want to support. Plus my problems with the f-250.

Oh I got the employee pricing on the van, so that played a part in it all. To get the same options in a Honda I would of paid close to $5,000 more.

Last edited:
I don't know about all of Toyota, but the plant here hasn't laid team members off. That's somthing they stated they wouldn't do when they came here. They also have several special events for employees (concerts, race tickets, etc.). I guess I see first hand how they take care of their people and aren't asking for hand outs from the government. They can manage themselves. I like that, so I bought a vehicle from them. Gave them a little money.

I'm glad somebody thinks the sienna interior is better than the "dodge plastic" but the interior on my sienna is junk. It is just like all the others so I doubt the others are any better.

The sienna interior is JUNK!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back