Looking for a good book on Investing

Astro14 has recommended a few good ones in some very recent threads.

Hopefully he can repost those books.

Well besides maxing out 401k, max out Roth/IRA, then do regular investing.

Morningstar is a good site to research mutual funds, but plenty of other sites out there with good info. I prefer Fidelity myself, but they're local so they're easy to find.

1606473582428.png

Currently about to dig into Mutual Funds for Dummies.
What books have you more experienced investors found useful?
Most people would be best served by buying low fee index funds. Vanguard has several as do other mutual fund companies. No need to pay high fees these days.

And since you cannot time the market, best to buy xx dollars a month.

Of course if employer has matching 401K you should sign up for largest amount that is matched. And invest the 401K in index funds if possible.

Morningstar is a good site to research mutual funds, but plenty of other sites out there with good info. I prefer Fidelity myself, but they're local so they're easy to find.
My 401k has vanguard funds as an option. Plus I can use the “self brokerage” to buy other funds of my choosing.
Currently maxed 401k per the company match. Have a play TD Ameritrade account too.
An currently using Motley Fool for research but the jury is still out on them. Seems like they just keep trying to sell me another add on service instead of advice.

SSerian,

How old are you ?

Sounds like you are off to a good start if you already have a brokerage account and contributing to your 401K.

If you’re interested in investing, I recommend the following to start:

Common Sense on Mutual Funds by John Bogle
Stocks for the Long Run by Jeremy Siegel
A random walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel
The above-mentioned book by John Bogle

General Financial Topics:
When Genius Failed by Roger Lowenstein
Flash Boys by Michael Lewis

Personal Finance and Management:
Making the Most of Your Money by Jane Bryant Quinn
The Millionaire Next Door by Danko & Stanley

You’re setting yourself up for success by addressing, and investing in, your future now. Well done.

SSerian,

How old are you ?

Sounds like you are off to a good start if you already have a brokerage account and contributing to your 401K.
39. I’ll be 40 in March.

My employer matches 85% of what I contribute up to 6% of my income.
Currently my contributions and employer match is split between a 401k offered mutual fund, company stock and the 401k offered self brokerage account.

Something else I need to look into is Roth. It’s either pay taxes now or later.
Seeing how I’m young, I may need to contribute to my Roth, which is offered through my 401k as well.
My ultimate goal is to “deuce out” at 55 years of age.
Then again, my employer also offers pension and it would take a big hit if I take an early out.

I’d definitely open a Roth IRA and contribute the max.

If you’re married I suggest your wife also open up a Roth IRA, definitely a great retirement vehicle.

39. I’ll be 40 in March.

My employer matches 85% of what I contribute up to 6% of my income.
Currently my contributions and employer match is split between a 401k offered mutual fund, company stock and the 401k offered self brokerage account.

Something else I need to look into is Roth. It’s either pay taxes now or later.
Seeing how I’m young, I may need to contribute to my Roth, which is offered through my 401k as well.
My ultimate goal is to “deuce out” at 55 years of age.
Then again, my employer also offers pension and it would take a big hit if I take an early out.
Match your 401k, then switch to maxing your Roth, put the rest into regularly taxed cheap as you can get index funds or etf's. Peruse Bogleheads. Go to YouTube and play John Bogle interviews at least monthly to reinforce the belief that you can't beat the market

Back