Looking for a good body shop in SoCal/Tijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.
With rates and work quality comparable to this thread
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=212905

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to have a bit of rust repaired on my e30 BMW as well as possibly get them to to a proper color change (I'll supply most/all materials)

I've been in contact with a few shops, but have been having some trouble contacting this shop mentioned in the link above.

Thanks in advance

Ask around the taxi cab drivers that work the airport. Some of them will know through their own experience. They are inspected often and visible crash damage gets them sent home.

I’ve dealt with TJ body shops before with no problem, but since 911 and the extremely longs waits at the border, I avoid TJ at all cost. There are lots of good and reasonable places on the US side of the border. I have found this shop in Poway to be fair and honest-
http://www.abxl.com/

I'm not sure they know how to deal with rust down there!

I have seen body shops in TJ (I have had upholstery work done there)
The finished job looked great, but they were doing things like using an old style Dent puller without welding up the holes befor filling etc.
Would not last a year up here.

I have had body work done in Mexico before. Quality was just OK for the price. There was one good shop. I will try to find the name of it. The guy works on old Hot Rods a lot.

Sorry the only info I can find is the guys name is Miguel and he belongs to the Lifters Car Club here in San Diego and works out of a shop in TJ.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Still looking. I'm really changing my destination to anywhere in SoCal who will take me seriously. Seems like as soon as anyone hears I'm from Canada, they fail to return my calls etc.

Any other suggestions? I'm very interested in getting my car in a shop my March/April of this year and am willing to pay part now, and part later. I'm mostly interested in SoCal, since I can easily pay for parts and have them shipped directly to the shop. Much easier than having them shipped to Mexice

thanks in advance
smile.gif

I know a guy in Roxbury, VA (just east of Richmond) who does excellent work at a fair price. Don't know what part of Canada you're from, though, so Virginia may be too far away. My guess is that the amount of body work done in the link you posted would cost about 2K USD. A little less if it's one stage paint. He doesn't advertise as far as I know, and he does a lot of old cars. His quality is second to none. Again, his rates are very reasonable. Let me know if you're interested.

Originally Posted By: splinter
^ Some areas of Southern California and Tijuana are essentially demographically and visually synonymous.
smile.gif

Saving a nickel on potential auto repairs two borders to the south strikes me as false economy.

Be that as it may, the U.S. State Department has officially warned foreign travelers of potential hazards in Mexico.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

thanks Splinter, I've actually given up on the Mexico idea as it's just another border to cross and more hassle!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I know a guy in Roxbury, VA (just east of Richmond) who does excellent work at a fair price. Don't know what part of Canada you're from, though, so Virginia may be too far away. My guess is that the amount of body work done in the link you posted would cost about 2K USD. A little less if it's one stage paint. He doesn't advertise as far as I know, and he does a lot of old cars. His quality is second to none. Again, his rates are very reasonable. Let me know if you're interested.

thanks for the recommendation, but I'm on the west coast in BC, so I think a drive to Virginia is a little out of the way for me lol.

Funny you should mention the price of about $2,000. That's pretty close to the quote I received yesterday from a shop in Hawthorne CA. Up here in Canadaland, you can easily spend $10,000 on work like that. This is precisely why so many vehicles are scrapped rather than repaired. This in addition to the harsh winters the vehicles are exposed to

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Pacific paint in Hesperia.ask for Dennis. Be advised that rust repair is not common around here and that some shops may not want to do work they are not familiar with.

Perfect, thanks Chris, I'll make sure to give him a call tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back