Looking for a fun autocross/ club racer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a fun car to do autocross and perhaps some club racing for me and my wife.

I really am the type that wants something different so I am not looking at miatas.

I would like something that is 4cyl or perhaps a 6.

Goal is to have lots of fun and not necessarily for winning.

Older cars are preferred, something fairly easy to work on.

Budget is about 15k but I will spend more if I have to.

I thought I would ask here because of the big knowledge base on bitog.

Thanks

Last edited:
Porsche Boxster... Well balanced and easy to setup. You can find early ones for much less than your budget.

Miata is always the answer.

Or a C5 vette if you decide down the line that you want a V8 miata.

Last edited:
Before you decide on a Boxster be sure to search for IMS (Intermediate Shaft) failure on the internet and visit the Porsche and Boxster forums. There is a reason early Boxsters are so inexpensive.

I'll go a little against the grain here... what about a front driver? Something like an RSX-S or Civic Si. Plenty of power for autocross, reliable, factory limited slip. Endless options for suspension. And you'll be able to get a great example of one with plenty of money to spare for tires/brakes/track time.

Is $15k the annual budget? Do you have a trailer to haul it?

Something cheap like a Japanese econo box or e30 to start with. Most of the budget will probably go to getting it race prepped, doing more events and TIRES. I would assume you'll have a much more affordable, involved and interesting hobby, racing a race prepped civic >10 times per year than an M3, Porsche or Mustang <10 times per year. Plus you'll probably embarrass some mid life crisis mobiles who show up on stock tires.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have a trailer.
One of the reasons the miata is out is I want a hardtop. Convertibles are out.
Also I should have added I need a slightly bigger car. I am 6'3" 220lb and with a helmet I will need all the headroom I can get.
I am not afraid to go vintage but except for muscle cars I am not versed in what would be good.

Really as a starting point I would be looking for a car that came with good suspension/steering from factory. I am also looking for a slow car I can drive fast, if you know what I mean.

what about 944 or 924s ? BMW, Toyota etc, etc I just have no idea what to look for on the used market. I have driven a pickup the last 20 years as a DD and my non trackable muscle cars for fun

Unless I decide to throw the budget out the window and get a 911 or something like that as a DD, this car will not be street driven

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I'll go a little against the grain here... what about a front driver? Something like an RSX-S or Civic Si. Plenty of power for autocross, reliable, factory limited slip. Endless options for suspension. And you'll be able to get a great example of one with plenty of money to spare for tires/brakes/track time.

^^This

What about an R53 (2002-2006) mini cooper? It will accommodate your size just fine, hardtop (safe cars really), should be plenty of room for a helmet and plenty of fun for autocross/track. The Mini isn't the most reliable thing, but if you have a trailer and its an autoX only car that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Out of the box they handle very well with just a set of sticky tires. Check out some videos on youtube of them taking on some much higher end vehicles around the track.

C5 Z06
laugh.gif

Are there any 924s or 944s left? I can't remember the last time I have seen one. I see more 1959 Vettes.

Originally Posted by CT8
Are there any 924s or 944s left? I can't remember the last time I have seen one. I see more 1959 Vettes.

We have some down here in FL. Most looked pretty ragged out though.

Any one here drive a brz or one of its variants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back