Looking for a cordless drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, happy Friday! I'm looking for a cordless drill, mainly for around the house and car work. Looking for an 18v, possibly combo kit. Hoping to spend under $100, unless it is a good combo pack. Basically, Im wondering what brands you guys have experience with and which seem to hold up best for the value. Thanks!

I like my Dewalt 12v more than my Ryobi 18v. My Ryobi came with a flashlight and circular saw. I've used the saw maybe twice.

If it were me, I'd either wait until Black Friday when the Ryobi is usually very cheap (25 bucks for the drill or 69 for the combo last year, on sale the last few years), or get another DeWalt and get less than 18v if that's what it takes to stay in your price range.

Those ion battery drills look cool. Small yet powerful... I wouldn't mind getting rid of my 18v Craftsman for one of those.

This B&D one seems to be getting good reviews and is within your budget. I've had their 14.4V version for a few years now and it's been great, although I only use it sporadically around the house.

Ridgid and DeWalt ones are great, but you might have a tough time finding one (with a battery) for under $100.

Originally Posted By: daman
Rigid

Im liking the look of these and the prices, thanks for the suggestions, keep um coming!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This B&D one seems to be getting good reviews and is within your budget. I've had their 14.4V version for a few years now and it's been great, although I only use it sporadically around the house.

Ridgid and DeWalt ones are great, but you might have a tough time finding one (with a battery) for under $100.

Not bad either!

I have the dewalt nano setup. Cost a bit more than $100 IIRC, but it is an impact driver, plus a hammer drill. Ive put the drill especially through some tough stuff, and it still works great.

The batteries may not hold their charge the best - my advice is to find a which decent brand have the cheapest batteries that are Li-ion.

I really love my ingersoll-rand impact driver. I think they have a drill and all the parts are a la carte. Might want to look at them.

The Ryobi has been a good drill. I've had it for either 6 or 7 years and it still works. It's just not as good as the DeWalt. The dewalt weighs half as much, is much smaller, has the same amount of power and has a better chuck.

If I had never gotten the DeWalt as a gift I wouldn't know what I was missing and would still be happy with the Ryobi. It did everything I ever asked it (kitchen and bath remodels and hours of wire wheel work on various "treasures").

Look for either DeWalt or Ridgid in your Craigslist. You'll never know how cheap it can be found from your local Craigslist flee market.

I have a hitachi with a pair of smallish li-ion batteries. They don't hold the charge they once did and are only a couple years old. Also the drill gearbox is junk. Hitachi knows this and mentions in the owners manual that the warranty won't cover gearbox damage from "abuse"-- if the motor doesn't stall, it's not abuse IMO.

Anyway, stay away from Hitachi.
wink.gif

Everything under $100 is junk. It's probably fine if you're not going to use it often or for big tasks, but don't plan on it lasting a long time regardless.

Ryobi and Ridgid are China junk made by Techtronic Industries. They have a good warranty, and you're gonna need it. Ridgid offers a lifetime warranty, which is the major reason why they cost more. That's as many new or rebuilt drills as you can break.

DeWalt isn't what they used to be. Way overpriced IMO, and not nearly as good with the warranty as Techtronic.

Milwaukee is made by Techtronic, but is separate from Ridgid/Ryobi. They are pretty decent quality, and you pay a little more for it.

Makita is good, but you pay for it.

I have a Hitachi hammer drill that's about two years old and so far has had no problems, but I haven't had much experience with their cordless products.

I love my rigid use to by junk drills till I got fed up and spent some money great power and compact.

I've had this one for almost a year now:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917310000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Can't say enough good things about it. I've used it to hang sheetrock in our flooded basement, build a workbench, and a bunch of other heavy duty stuff around the house. It is a workhorse and the LiIon battery lasts a good while too. It's pretty lightweight with the small battery and IMHO that's a plus.

I've got a bunch of other C3/19.2v tools and they are decent too.

I've also got a 10.8/12v Hitachi LiIon impact driver and drill set that I like too. The drill is slow and doesn't have a whole lot of torque but it's great for small spaces and when I don't need the power. The impact driver is a beast though and I love that little green tool!

Last edited:
For less than $100, nothing can touch this 18v Porter Cable cordless drill:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_76712-79992-PC180DK-2_4294857547_4294937087_?productId=1209527&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Cordless%2BDrills_4294857547_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

It is even a better deal if you buy the combo kit with the saw:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_37894-79992-PC218C-2_4294857540+4294962151_4294937087_?productId=1208983&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_PORTERCABLE_4294857540%2B4294962151_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=PORTER-CABLE

With the combo kit, you give up the hard storage case but get a nice tool bag and circular saw for $10 less than the drill alone! I've had mine for a year and would not trade it for any other cordless drill under $150.

Last edited:
DeWalt is probably the higher end of consumer grade rechargeable power tools... but IMO the best bang-for-buck in 18V tools is Ryobi. The tools themselves are inexpensive, and you buy the battery and charger (where the REAL cost is) separately. Then the battery works with any other 18V Ryobi tool you get. I've got a whole collection of Ryobi tools- drill, right-angle drill, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, circular saw, pad sander, and yes, the silly little dustbuster vac and I have actually used it ;-) No failures at all in spite of the fact they're not quite as well made as DeWalt, and one charger/2 batteries swapped around gets me through a day's work with them all.

I have had a Rigid 18v lithium for over a year now. $89 from HD with battery and 20 min recharge charger, plus Lifetime warranty on all.
If this is considered Chinese junk, Give me more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back