Looking for a cordless drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 Sad to say but nothing in the $100 price range is to spectacular.
I have 2 makita drills, impact, sawsall and a Hilti drill and impact, all cordless. They are monsters that hold up to daily hard work.
In the long run their long trouble free life and good parts availability makes the price of admission cheaper than the home owner specials in the end.

I would spend the extra to get the Rigid if a lifetime warranty, including the batteries, is important. Must send all the paperwork in, which I neglected to do on my first ones, but if all is done right, theoretically you are set for as long as you have it. They are also a good tool, made in China hurts a lot for me to buy, but look at all the others labels.

Get a Dewalt 18V drill and standardize on that battery. Then buy additional tools without the battery. Or maybe get one more with and the rest without. Have many batteries is cool until they all need to be replaced.

2 years ago I got a Hitachi 18v hammer drill (Lithium Ion) with a impact driver. I have been very, very pleased with both of them. Bought off Amazon while on sale.

I don't normally buy cheap tools,but.......... 6-7 years ago I picked up a Ryobi 18V drill/sawzall/light/circular saw kit just to have around "in case'. Eventually the tools got pretty well used when I built a fence around my property. I drove over 2400 screws with that drill. A lot of 2 1/2 and 3" screws into some fairly hard wood and no problems. The 2 speed gear case finally started to slip out of gear last year. I was about to purchase another one when I saw a notice about a recall for the drill due to a switch problem. Got a brand new drill for free (with a better chuck to boot).

I don't normally recommend Ryobi, especially anything gas powered, but that tool set has served me very well. I had to buy another 2 pack of batteries 2 years ago as the original nicads wweren't holding a charge. Thinking about either getting the new lithium batts, or investing in a big pack of sub Cs to make another battery pack.

Pro use- Dewalt or Milwaukee are hard to beat. Occasional use- Ryobis are adequate on a cost basis. Look at replacement battery costs as well. Dewalts will bankrupt you.

Around the house, home shop etc. can't beat Ryobi for the price and tools availabilty. I understand there are now 40 different tools for Ryobi.
Otherwise for serious use Rigid quality and warantee plus free batteries for life, come on how can you beat it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back