Looking for a commuter. Turbo diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By good I mean MPG and power, the federal versions are already hobbled by emissions-- IDK if Cali takes some timing out or something that makes them worse.

The good news is with your TL still in your fleet if diesel eclipses gas by a buck a gallon for a while (say it's a cold winter in the northeast) you could drive that.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
If I were doing a lot of driving on the company dime, I would get a larger car with an automatic trans, and comfortable seats.

A jetta doesn't sound fun to be putting serious miles on it.

Something like a sonata would be the bare minimum..

A Jetta is an outstanding car for high mile days. They are very comfortable on along drive.

GN, you might consider a previous generation Jetta diesel. They don't have the emissions control complications of the newer ones.
I really like my 2005 wagon.

If I were doing it over now, I would probably get a new one, but the previous gen model would be a serious consideration.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
You may also want to try the new GTI (Mark VI) that comes out in September

Wonder if it still includes those nasty valve deposits at no extra charge...

The differences seem to only be in ECU programming, so I think the answer is yes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: saaber1
You may also want to try the new GTI (Mark VI) that comes out in September

Wonder if it still includes those nasty valve deposits at no extra charge...

The differences seem to only be in ECU programming, so I think the answer is yes.

The Mark VI continues to use the 2.0 TSI engine which has been used since roughly mid 2008. The TSI is a completely different engine than the 2.0 FSI and fortunately uses a roller cam for the fuel pump and has a different pcv system. Even with those improvements I'll bet the valve deposits which seem to plague many (most?) direct injection engines are still going to be there. It will be interesting to see if the TSI shows less fuel dilution than the FSI. TSI has certainly shown less oil consumption by nearly all accounts.

I have a client that is on his 3rd TDI. He just loves them. Racks up ridiculous mileage and then gets rid of them. Slammds15 on here sold his '04 Jetta TDI to a good friend of my client, who had ~800,000Km on his older TDI and it was getting tired.......

I have an 05 Jetta TDI Wagon. Great car. 45 to 50+ mpg and enough room for me, 4 kids, sleeping bags, tent, etc., plus pretty hot acceleration. Pretty darn comfortable. VW service is where the problem is, and the question of what really is the best oil for a PD. I am looking forward to the timing belt change coming up, but any car has that these days.

I wash my own car and do my own oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
I have an 05 Jetta TDI Wagon. Great car. 45 to 50+ mpg and enough room for me, 4 kids, sleeping bags, tent, etc., plus pretty hot acceleration. Pretty darn comfortable. VW service is where the problem is, and the question of what really is the best oil for a PD. I am looking forward to the timing belt change coming up, but any car has that these days.

I carry limited amount of 8 foot long lumber in my '05 TDI wagon with the tailgate shut. I have a couple of moving blankets I protect the upholstery with.

I brought a 52 inch TV home from the store in it.

Got a couple of clamp on cross bars for the roof rack that let me carry 4ftx4ft sheets of building material, up to the 200 lb roof rack capacity.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Boatowner

I carry limited amount of 8 foot long lumber in my '05 TDI wagon with the tailgate shut. I have a couple of moving blankets I protect the upholstery with.

I brought a 52 inch TV home from the store in it.

Got a couple of clamp on cross bars for the roof rack that let me carry 4ftx4ft sheets of building material, up to the 200 lb roof rack capacity.

That sounds like an awesome work/commuter/utility car all in one. What years would you recommend to avoid the new emissions stuff?

I am also in the boat as op,

questions:
1. tdi wagons - which yr is a good yr to buy?
2. new tdis - with the extra epa stuff, how reliable?
3. how about importing a diesel from EUROPE?

Originally Posted By: stockrex
questions:
1. tdi wagons - which yr is a good yr to buy?
2. new tdis - with the extra epa stuff, how reliable?
3. how about importing a diesel from EUROPE?

For items 1 and 2, I would ask those questions on tdiclub.com Lots of experienced owners on there (but beware there are lots of members there who are real, real negative (I hope that is not a diesel owner thing).

For item 3. Don't even think about it. Spend about 10 minutes googling the issue and you'll understand why. Next to impossible

Quote:
I will get reimbursed for a new car payment and it's a flat rate for car payment, gas, and mantenence.

What is the Max car payment they will reimburse you ?

My personal preference for the TDI cars is the 1999.9 model through the 2003 model. I preferred the engine in these cars.

If you're not completely familiar here is a rundown on body styles and engine combinations:

1999.5 - 2003 models: A4 Chassis, rotary pump engine (90HP, 150lb/ft).
2004 - 2005 models: A4 Chassis, PD engine (pumpe düse; pump injector. 100HP, 177lb/ft).
2005.5 - 2006 models: A5 Chassis, PD engine. Completely different looking model that used the previous generation engine.
2009 model: A5 chassis, common rail engine. Old body, new engine (140HP, 236lb/ft).
2010 model: Going to be new body (A6 Chassis) and common rail engine from the '09 model.

My 1999.5 model Golf TDI was totalled in a accident in December and I now drive a 2009 Jetta TDI sedan. The common rail engine is fantastic but it's a complex piece of equipment. Only time will tell whether it's going to be reliable or not. I'm just now at 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
My personal preference for the TDI cars is the 1999.9 model through the 2003 model. I preferred the engine in these cars.

If you're not completely familiar here is a rundown on body styles and engine combinations:

1999.5 - 2003 models: A4 Chassis, rotary pump engine (90HP, 150lb/ft).
2004 - 2005 models: A4 Chassis, PD engine (pumpe düse; pump injector. 100HP, 177lb/ft).
2005.5 - 2006 models: A5 Chassis, PD engine. Completely different looking model that used the previous generation engine.
2009 model: A5 chassis, common rail engine. Old body, new engine (140HP, 236lb/ft).
2010 model: Going to be new body (A6 Chassis) and common rail engine from the '09 model.

My 1999.5 model Golf TDI was totalled in a accident in December and I now drive a 2009 Jetta TDI sedan. The common rail engine is fantastic but it's a complex piece of equipment. Only time will tell whether it's going to be reliable or not. I'm just now at 10,000 miles.

Fowvay, that is great and concise info. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back