Looking for a $9,000 - $10,000 Vehicle AWD for a nephew going to College in Cleveland, and suggestions?

My nephew is going to be going away from home in Pittsburgh PA to attending college in Cleveland and he and his parents have a budget of 9K to 10K for a vehicle for him.

He only has one year of driving experience, but not accidents and no tickets. Besides school, he is a natural when it comes to carpentry, and spends much of his spare time working with a professional carpenter on various housing projects, and also building things of wood in his own home shop that he also built himself. A small truck would be nice for his wood work if he still finds some time for it while going to college, but there concerned that the insurance for a young driver may be much more for a truck, even if it is a small one.

His parents want the vehicle to be AWD because of the snow in Cleveland. I told them that AWD may be more maintnce.

His mother has a set of BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport with TPMSF on her Nissan Murano and what ever he gets they want to put a set of those on it for him because of the snow in Cleveland. I also have a set of them on my Honda CR-V and second that idea.

What ever he gets we will give it a good once over to make it as reliable as we can before he leaves for school.

Reliability, safety, and low cost of ownership are some of the top priorities.

Also like his father and uncles, he is tall. So some of the smaller vehicles may be ruled out just because tall people do not fit in them well.

So what are your suggestions of vehicles to look at?

And also if there are any things a particular posable good to look at vehicle may have a problem with that should be paid attention to when test driving and going over it before buying, please include those items.

They hope to buy something within the next 30 days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
aside from he won't really need awd(fwd will do just fine)...not really...
have you looked anywhere online? autotempest?

oh, IF it would somehow be registered in Ohio, the area around Cleveland is pretty much the only part of the state with any kind of inspection, though its just an OBDII plug in for "emissions". not even a sniffer..

Last edited:
I'm 6'2, but most of my height is in my legs, I normally wear a 34 inseam, but if you measure up my leg, the top of my leg at my inner thigh is about 38in off the floor the point where I actually bend at the top of my pelvis is about 41in off the floor, so when a car is rated at around 41-42in of legroom I can sit well in the passenger seat but driving it sucks, My mom has a Honda Odyssey rated at like 41in of front leg room, I can sit in the passenger seat but driving the thing a long time is incredibly uncomfortable, and sometime I accidentally hit the brake and the gas at the same time because of the awkward angle I have to cut my foot onto the brake pedal. I drive a 2008 TrailBlazer which selected because of the over 45 inches of legroom, I drive with the seat all the way back.

AWD is not that big of an expense. The maintenance isn't any more than that of an automatic transmission-at about the same intervals. I would say 80% of the vehicles in Utah are either AWD or 4WD. And quite frankly you don't REALLY NEED those systems that much. I'm partial-but Hyundai has some offerings you may want to consider.

then there's this absolute beauty.:
my HS car was my Dads 94? Aerostar, but ours was the standard length body, not the XL, and only had the 3.0 Vulcan V6, RWD.
that's how I learned winter driving.

i cannot recommend these cars enough...
we've had 2 freestyles, a Taurus, a Sable and a Taurus X in the family, (all at the same time) they are fantastic, comfortable cars. this does have the CVT, but so did/Does both f the freestlyes we had(Dad and his Twin Brother) Dad's was AWD, Uncle's not.
Dad had his trans and rear Diff serviced every 30k miles at the dealer. Uncle hasn't, costs too much. on a fixed income ya know....
around 100k mi dad sold his to my sister(he always offloads cars around there), around 160 she needed to get the the rear drive unit replaced, (~$1k, IIRC) but she had her local guy that they trust do it... always sounded like a bad bearing from that point on. she sold it the following summer.
Uncle's is still cruising flawlessly, approaching 200k mi

the Freestlye/FiveHundred/Montego had the good old Duratec 3.0. most had the ZF CVT, a FEW had an Asin 6 speed.
the Taurus X/Taurus/Sable went to the Cyclone 3.5, and a Ford 6 speed.
while more refined all around, the 3.5's achilles heel is it's water pump. for packaging reasons, to fit the bigger engine in the same bay, the waterpump was placed down in the valley, and is known to go out anytime after 90Kmi. if you don't catch it in time, it just dumps all the coolant right into the Sump(new engine time...$5k?) just replacing the pump if its weeping and hasn't grenaded, is about a $2k job.

Last edited:
FWD will do just fine in cleveland its pretty flat and they have hundreds of plows.
Getting him some top notch all-weather style tires Nokian WRG4/etc would be good.

10k isnt much for awd. it goes farther with FWD.

2013 santa fe? starts to be in that range. I'm assuming 10k is all in so 9k purchase price or so.

I have looked at a few sites, and have a few in mind, but I will take a serious look at your recommendations. One thing is I want to see him in a safe reliable vehicle. It would be nice if it could fit a sheet of plywood in even if it were tilted and the back open, but that is not high up on the list. It is just that this young man has sawdust in his vanes

Also he has never driven anything with a manual transmission and clutch.

As to the Subaru recommendation, what were the years that they had the bad air-conditioner design that kept braking over and over again, almost every year, and cost a lot to get fixed each time? I think 2010 may have been before the years that have that problem, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
I bought a RWD car and it does just fine here in Central Indiana, sure you have to go slow on the side streets but I'd have to do that regardless because 4WD doesn't really do crap on ice. I also noticed one advantage to RWD here, is that the city often doesn't clean the side streets and I see FWD cars get stuck turning off the clean main drag on to side streets and I don't have that problem because the front tires get pushed into the snow and pack it down and the rear tires can easily go over the compacted snow tracks left by the front tires.

if it must be AWD, then the Suzuki SX4 seems like the best choice :)
Enough room for stuff, the AWD, good mpg too

Subaru is OK as long as you don't get an EJ
2011+ Forester is good
2012+ Impreza/Crosstrek/XV is good
2013+ Legacy/Outback is good too
The WRX was late to switch over, 2015

The 2011-13 Forester has the new FB engine but not the CVT (it has a 4-speed auto). The CVT started in 2014 with the Forester, and earlier with the Impreza and Legacy

Of course, any AWD Toyota is good
Venza, Rav4, etc.

The Jeep Compass actually isn't bad.

Also, if you want AWD, don't get a CRV because its AWD system is a joke :D

then there's this absolute beauty.:
my HS car was my Dads 94? Aerostar, but ours was the standard length body, not the XL, and only had the 3.0 Vulcan V6, RWD.
that's how I learned winter driving.

i cannot recommend these cars enough...
we've had 2 freestyles, a Taurus, a Sable and a Taurus X in the family, (all at the same time) they are fantastic, comfortable cars. this does have the CVT, but so did/Does both f the freestlyes we had(Dad and his Twin Brother) Dad's was AWD, Uncle's not.
Dad had his trans and rear Diff serviced every 30k miles at the dealer. Uncle hasn't, costs too much. on a fixed income ya know....
around 100k mi dad sold his to my sister(he always offloads cars around there), around 160 she needed to get the the rear drive unit replaced, (~$1k, IIRC) but she had her local guy that they trust do it... always sounded like a bad bearing from that point on. she sold it the following summer.
Uncle's is still cruising flawlessly, approaching 200k mi

the Freestlye/FiveHundred/Montego had the good old Duratec 3.0. most had the ZF CVT, a FEW had an Asin 6 speed.
the Taurus X/Taurus/Sable went to the Cyclone 3.5, and a Ford 6 speed.
while more refined all around, the 3.5's achilles heel is it's water pump. for packaging reasons, to fit the bigger engine in the same bay, the waterpump was placed down in the valley, and is known to go out anytime after 90Kmi. if you don't catch it in time, it just dumps all the coolant right into the Sump(new engine time...$5k?) just replacing the pump if its weeping and hasn't grenaded, is about a $2k job.
Yes-Im sure the kid would love the Aerostar. I gonna file that under "ain't going to happen"!

if it must be AWD, then the Suzuki SX4 seems like the best choice :)
Enough room for stuff, the AWD, good mpg too

Subaru is OK as long as you don't get an EJ
2011+ Forester is good
2012+ Impreza/Crosstrek/XV is good
2013+ Legacy/Outback is good too
The WRX was late to switch over, 2015

The 2011-13 Forester has the new FB engine but not the CVT (it has a 4-speed auto). The CVT started in 2014 with the Forester, and earlier with the Impreza and Legacy

Of course, any AWD Toyota is good
Venza, Rav4, etc.

The Jeep Compass actually isn't bad.

Also, if you want AWD, don't get a CRV because its AWD system is a joke :D
Yes-that's the one. Seriously, there isn't anything wrong getting a CVT.

Some thoughts:

Better tires beat AWD/4WD in the snow......

GM- Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Captiva, 13-16 Malibu 11-15 Cruze 1.8 only (LS trim)

Ford- Ford Fusion, Early Ford Flex,

Toyota- RAV4, Camry , Corolla

Honda- CRV

AWD is good but if the snow is at a depth reaching the under belly of the car, you are not going anywhere no matter how the wheels are driven.

My suggestion...don’t go to college in Cleveland. Haha.

No, seriously, get a used Honda CRV. Very reliable, good on gas, pretty roomy, good in the snow, easy to work on, parts a readily available. 2009-2011. Or save and get a 2007-2008 for $5,000-$6,000 grand.

My olds silhouette minivan fit some silly long lumber down the middle. The seats popped out in seconds. Those vans are long in the tooth but maybe something like a chrysler town & country with stow & go seating would be great for both hauling wood and people around. And it would get ignored in the dorm parking lot, a good thing. Insurance should be cheaper too.

Will he be living within walking distance of class? Will he NEED to drive in snow?

Some thoughts:

Better tires beat AWD/4WD in the snow......

GM- Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Captiva, 13-16 Malibu 11-15 Cruze 1.8 only (LS trim)

Ford- Ford Fusion, Early Ford Flex,

Toyota- RAV4, Camry , Corolla

Honda- CRV
What do mean exactly?

Do you mean, better tires on a rear or front wheel drive car will generate better results than an AWD/4WD car/truck?

Because that, I don’t agree with. Unless we’re talking a comparison of studded snows vs bald tires on that AWD vehicle.

I do certainly agree that snow tires on ANY vehicle greatly enhances handling in the winter months. It can be a HUGE advantage. Owned a rear wheel drive Lexus LS 460...I couldn’t even get out of my driveway if it snowed with regular all season tires, but once I switched to snows? I could drive through almost anything but severe ice or 4 inches and above snow. But and AWD vehicle with half decent tires (all terrain tires) would do a better job, no doubt...years of driving/experience with AWD and 4WD SUV’s. Trucks and cars. A HUGE advantage over 2WD vehicles no matter what tire you have on there.

Right now I commute in a FWD sedan with snow tires, it’s sufficient. I don’t worry about snow, but we also have three AWD SUV’s...a Mercedes ML350, a Honda CRV and Jeep Liberty. And ALL three of those vehicles are more stable, solid and easier to drive in the snow than my 2016 Avalon with snows. By far. And none of those SUV’s have snow tires on them.

What do mean exactly?

Do you mean, better tires on a rear or front wheel drive car will generate better results than an AWD/4WD car/truck?

Because that, I don’t agree with. Unless we’re talking a comparison of studded snows vs bald tires on that AWD vehicle.

I do certainly agree that snow tires on ANY vehicle greatly enhances handling in the winter months. It can be a HUGE advantage. Owned a rear wheel drive Lexus LS 460...I couldn’t even get out of my driveway if it snowed with regular all season tires, but once I switched to snows? I could drive through almost anything but severe ice or 4 inches and above snow. But and AWD vehicle with half decent tires (all terrain tires) would do a better job, no doubt...years of driving/experience with AWD and 4WD SUV’s. Trucks and cars. A HUGE advantage over 2WD vehicles no matter what tire you have on there.

Right now I commute in a FWD sedan with snow tires, it’s sufficient. I don’t worry about snow, but we also have three AWD SUV’s...a Mercedes ML350, a Honda CRV and Jeep Liberty. And ALL three of those vehicles are more stable, solid and easier to drive in the snow than my 2016 Avalon with snows. By far. And none of those SUV’s have snow tires on them.

I’ve driven on all 4 (FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD). They are pretty much the same, as some skill is needed to drive all of the above. Will the last two on my list help? Sure they could. But both snow or good all seasons tires will help too. I’ve still seen too many AWD/4WD stuff on the side of the road because of too much confidence or too little skill.

My Cobalt does just fine in snow/light ice with a good set of Goodyears/Coopers/Michelin tires on it.....

Knock the budget down by $500-$1000, and save that for four genuine winter tires. Four steel wheels and a set of winter tires make the changeover easy.

Winter tires on a FWD will be far more effective/safe in real snow than AWD with all seasons. People struggle to believe that, but it’s true and it’s a matter of stopping, turning, and safety. My FWD with four Nokian Hakkapelliitta tires would drag the undercarriage in a blizzard, stop faster on ice, have better control than any AWD, including Subaru, without winter tires. I drove by by several crashed Subarus in my RWD old car during one particularly bad blizzard that put a layer of freezing rain down and covered it with 15” of snow. AWD systems mean nothing if there is no grip at the tire/road interface.

By going FWD, you can get a much better (newer, better condition) vehicle. AWD costs more money.

Last edited:
Back