Looking for a 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm looking for a 4x4 truck or SUV in around the $6000 range. Just wondering which vehicles are known to have the most reliable 4wd systems...any help is greatly appreciated

It will be my daily driver with very mild off roading...probably just playing in the mud

6000$ isnt much of a budget for a 4x4 in the winter. prices always jump.

The earlier models with the front axle vacuum disconnect can be problematic, but an easy fix to keep the fork in the locked position for fire and forget reliability.

Used Z71 Silverado or Ford F150 would be my pick.

Truck prices are regional though. $6000 might not buy a lot of truck up there compared to down here.

I had a 1994 mazda b4000, same as a ranger 4.0. Aside from 3rd gear whining in the 5 speed it was a pretty sweet truck. The looks have held up too.

Winter price inflation isn't a big deal, I'm not in a big hurry, could wait till summer if need be. If it's a truck, I prefer full size V8 unless it's a ford or mazda, as I like ford V6's over Chevy. But honestly, I would love to find a Cherokee or late 90's 4 Runner. And as for the older than 98 comment, are the newer ones the ones with piston skirt issues?

This will be a secondary car, we're getting rid of the van, my wife will be driving the Mustang, and I have a company truck, so this will mostly be an around town/toy type deal...something I can pay cash for with my taxes hopefully

Last edited:
I'm open to all sizes of trucks and suv's at this point, I just don't have much experience with 4wd systems so I was gonna let that kind of guide my decision.

Last edited:
There seems to be quite a few 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees for sale on autotrader.com, any reason to avoid these?

Jeep Cherokee. I prefer Cherokees to Explorers. Either will work. Personal preference.

Rodeos are well within that price range. They have a lot of odd problems and I don't think I ever heard one with over 100,000 miles that didn't have a lot of valvetrain noise but I have seen them go well over 200,000 miles and I kinda' like the way they drive....for an SUV.

I like the Ranger/B-series too. It's hard to find S10s that are 4X4 here Little easier to find 4X4 Blazers but most are 2WD.

If you want a V8, you can probably find a 4.7 Dakota 4X4 in that price range.

Tacomas are typically well over 200,000 miles in 4X4 at that price

Originally Posted By: Stang40
But honestly, I would love to find a Cherokee

Many surplus (county/city/state) Cherokees out there...

Originally Posted By: Stang40
There seems to be quite a few 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees for sale on autotrader.com, any reason to avoid these?

They aren't bad. Maintenance is key though. How a previous owner maintained it can mean the difference between a headache and a solid reliable vehicle. My dad sold his '99 Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 with 180k miles on it. It ran and drove great. The earlier ones have some issues with the brake calipers, but an upgrade can fix that. The only things besides normal maintenance that Jeep needed was a radiator and a front driveshaft the whole time he owned it. He towed a large trailer with it every weekend.

If going for a Grand Cherokee, definitely get the V8. I love the 4.0, but in the Grand Cherokee the 4.0 and V8 get the same mpg and the V8 has more power.

Thanks guys for all the replies..def looking for a Jeep, unless I find a great deal on a a full size Chevy or Ford truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back