Looking at an 05 Chrysler Pacific for my father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has been driving a 91 Lumina for the past few years and its literally going to fall apart any day. Ran a carfax on a 05 Pacifica with 29k miles and they are asking about 5-6k for it. Are there any major issues with these vehicles, it would be his first semi-new/modern car in a LOOOONGGG TIME so want to make sure its a reliable, comfortable car. He's 72 years old and finds it kinda hard to get out of low cars, but can't really get into a high car. The Chevy Equinox was good for him and he liked it but the prices for used ones are pretty high and out of his budget.

Any info ?

Very Nice Automobiles .. lower to the ground (compared to other minivans/svu's) for easy entry.. basically slide right into the driver's seat. Very Comfortable ride.

The interior is really luxurious. Lots of Mercedes influence. Rear suspension is based on an old Mercedes design. You'll notice how thick the doors are too.. for sound dampening.

Only downside is power... but I hope your father isn't up to racing at every stop light. I don't recall any major repair issues, but don't quote me on that. I haven't been keeping up with them after I left the factory which they were built in!..

He's hardly a speed racer, just wants something that is nice, reliable and safe. He does lots of short city driving to work and back, rarely any highway.

They have the 3.5 DOHC V-6, which is an EXCELLENT engine - no sludge issues.

Price sounds pretty good....

I was looking at two of them, one with the 3.5 L 250hp? and the 3.7L with 210 HP. I believe the 05 is the 3.7L, is this a good engine?

Originally Posted By: Anies
He does lots of short city driving to work and back, rarely any highway.

He is 72 and still working...Must be a great guy.

My stepfather just turned 96 and just said yesterday he might go back to work.

My dad is a retiree from Chrysler and he would buy it in a heartbeat. Good vehicle with a great engine!

You can even get the "Remote Starter" plug-in module from the dealer and have it start from your keyless remote!
wink.gif

Stay away we have two in our goverment fleet and they have both been a real pain with trouble in the ac and in the drivetrain...Plus numerous tire issues with the OEM Badyears....I would not purchase one....

Do some research, known to have transmission problems. I know of two people with them, both needed transmissions.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
Do some research, known to have transmission problems. I know of two people with them, both needed transmissions.
All Chrysler products pretty much need transmissions frequently. This has been a known problem for a very long time (Since the 90's) and they don't seem to want to fix it. Even the newer vehicles have issues.
smirk2.gif

That is not true,I have never seen a Chrysler product with a bad transmission even in the trucks which hold up.The 1998 and up Dodge Intrepid and Concorde transmissions do not go out and are bullet proof.The only problem they have are with the speed sensors and most yards do not get calls for this transmission which sit on the shelf not being sold.The major problem I see with the 3 and 4 speed transmissions is with the spider gear pin spitting out and ruins the case.The fix for this is to weld the ends of the spider gear pin before it happens.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
That is not true,I have never seen a Chrysler product with a bad transmission even in the trucks which hold up.The 1998 and up Dodge Intrepid and Concorde transmissions do not go out and are bullet proof.The only problem they have are with the speed sensors and most yards do not get calls for this transmission which sit on the shelf not being sold.The major problem I see with the 3 and 4 speed transmissions is with the spider gear pin spitting out and ruins the case.The fix for this is to weld the ends of the spider gear pin before it happens.
If I counted all the transmission we have overhauled in the various products it would make your head spin! Do a google search and you will see tons of issues with Chrysler tranmissions. P/U trucks are less common, but everything is affected more than average reliability out there.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1

They are better than they were but far far far from bullet proof.
You've never seen one fail? Where do you live?
Can't be on this planet
cool.gif

My 94 Jeep has 200k + miles on it and it wasn't exactly babied for the first half of its life by my brother(trans fluid was changed at 125k?). Rarely got on time oil changes etc and she still starts up on the first crank.

I never heard of trans problems with chryslers, mostly Fords(rephrase, mostly the Explorer's I believe). First order of business I'd force him to get the transfluid changed out along with all the other fluids. I don't trust dealerships as I have found out working on my Xterra. I thank you all for your input on this car and will be passing it onto my father.

He works not because he wants to, but I guess to keep busy. About 10 years ago he had a heart attack and shortly there after knee surgery and was couped up in the house for a loooonnng time. He was going nuts because he was bored and needed to keep his mind going so being the craftsman that he is, he's still chugging along.

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
A relative of mine had a 94 Concorde.

Transmission died at 6 years 72k miles.
My mom had an Eagle Vision (same chasis) and the transmission was overhauled 3 times in 200K KM (120K Miles) Absolute junk!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
A relative of mine had a 94 Concorde.

Transmission died at 6 years 72k miles.
My mom had an Eagle Vision (same chasis) and the transmission was overhauled 3 times in 200K KM (120K Miles) Absolute junk!

My sister bought a junkyard transmission and sold it.

I love the design of the Chrysler 300. But no way.

The 1998 to 2004 Dodge Intrepid transmissions do fit in the 1997 and down Intrepids,Concordes with a few modifications and vision and the book says no.My father had a 1996 Dodge 2500 truck with the V10 with just under 200,000 miles and the transmission never has been out.I know of a 1992 Dodge truck with the Cummins with over 300,000 and the transmission has not been out,it still works and shifts great.The replacement transmissions taking place of the 727s and 904s which are now electronic are a good transmission.Only one I heard of having a problem was with the valve body seperating plate being warped and this transmission shop down the road I know did this work.I am not from any other planet and anyone slandering me needs to stop NOW!!!!My father is a Chysler fanatic and knows the transmissions do not go out.The worst automatic transmission Chrysler put in was the Asian transmission,a huge piece of junk.This transmission was put in Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees.The transmission in the 300cs,Dodge Chargers and Magnum is another bullet proof transmission made by Mercedes Benz.This one requires a special dipstick made by Miller tool and a scan tool to check the fluid level.

$5 or $6k for an O5 pacifica sounds a little low! If an independent mechanic checked it over and gave it the OK I'd be all over it. I wouldn't trust a CARFAX report at all, especially on a suspiciously good deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back