Looking at a used honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would spend a tad more and get a new fit. It will last longer, be cheaper to own, has new car warranty, better mpg, better utility/usable space.

4-cyl, 5-spd Accord will last you forever. Find an EX like that, in a color you like, and offer KBB (kbb.com) trade-in price.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
4-cyl, 5-spd Accord will last you forever. Find an EX like that, in a color you like, and offer KBB (kbb.com) trade-in price.

I have to agree with that. Dealers are hurting, one will eventually bite. Offer the price and don't look back. It's not like it will be hard to find another Accord. With how things are selling today, I bet it won't take long to land a good deal.

Originally Posted By: tmundal
Other than distaste for Hondas... Does anyone know of any issues these cars have? Are the transmissions solid? Any known engine issues?

...and while the price may not be 'great', you cannot find one in this neck of the woods for cheap.

One owner, 150 round trip commute. (assumption based on the location of the dealers it went to.) In the dealer (two of them one in Portland OR, or one in Albany OR, like clock work every 5,000 miles.

There are lots of used accords out there with the price you want at low mileage.
cars.com select honda, accord, then type in your zip code and set the max price to 15,000.

This one, although it's not at the honda dealer, it's $14,000 with around 21,000 miles. It's a coupe, not a sedan.
2005 accord ex-L

And this one is a certified used, but without many options.
LX certified

With that kind of mileage(80,000), it will be time for tune up soon. If you are going to pay around 15,000, just make sure you get one with a low mileage.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My bud is looking at a 2002 TL Type S. 110k, fully serviced and clean, $5000.

I would keep a spare transmission in the trunk, cuz he'll need it!

LOL.gif

It's a manual.

I srsly don't "get" the OP. He's looking at a car that will depreciate like a rock, and need a lot of service, to save money.

It's a manual.

I srsly don't "get" the OP. He's looking at a car that will depreciate like a rock, and need a lot of service, to save money.

99-03 Acura TLs only come in automatic.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

LOL.gif

My dad had one, it was a nightmare. Besides two transmissions (one at 50k and another at 109k) it had a lot of nickel and dime stuff go.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: The Critic

LOL.gif

My dad had one, it was a nightmare. Besides two transmissions (one at 50k and another at 109k) it had a lot of nickel and dime stuff go.

This is exactly why I do not shop for an used car by its brand name, but by observing what other people say about the car, for instance, if there were any common issues with that particular model and year.

$14,000 to me is just too much money for a used car without a pedigree.

If I had a gun to my head and was told I had to buy a Honda Accord, I'd be looking at a low mileage 01-02 EX 4-cylinder/stick sedan. And I wouldn't be spending more thank $6000-$7000 or so. That's only if I couldn't get away with an older model with uber-low miles, like the '85 DX sedan with a stick I saw last week for $1995. It had 43,550 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: occupant
like the '85 DX sedan with a stick I saw last week for $1995. It had 43,550 miles on it.

This car for sure has a rolled back odometer.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
like the '85 DX sedan with a stick I saw last week for $1995. It had 43,550 miles on it.

This car for sure has a rolled back odometer.

If you believe it, all manuals and service records were in the glovebox. Oil changes twice yearly, some as soon as 300 miles from the last because of the low miles. The timing belt was changed in 2000 at 36K. Service writer's note indicated they changed it due to age and fear it MIGHT break, not due to wear or any obvious other indicators. The tires were changed at the same time. They lasted 15 years without weather checking because it was (quite obviously if you saw it) a garage kept car. Valve adjustments were done four times over the last 24 years. The lady even kept all the gas receipts in a checkbook-sized wallet, all bought from the same Conoco station in town. She never put more than 4 gallons in at a time from the inch or so of receipts I looked through. Likely never left the county!

I have an 07 V6 Accord Coupe and I love it. The gas mileage comments are bogus...I average 23-25 MPG in 50/50 driving in summer and just took a long trip...3 tanks yielded 28.5, 30, and 30 MPG traveling between 70-75 MPH. That's pretty good for 244 horsepower and a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds. The car has very few issues I know of. In 2003-04 the transmissions had problems but were rectified part way through 2004. This was clearly shown in the last issue of Consumer Reports auto buying guide (black mark 2003, half black 2004, top rating from there on out for trans).

Other than that the rear brake pads can go fast due to the brake distribution system that routes more brake force to the rear in normal stops. Some people have front rotor warping issues, which I have not experienced. Been a great car so far at 29K.

Oh, my dad had a 1994 Grand Marquis. On the highway it did no better than 25 MPG, so clearly I can't see how that gets better mileage than a V6 Accord.

If you believe it, all manuals and service records were in the glovebox. Oil changes twice yearly, some as soon as 300 miles from the last because of the low miles. The timing belt was changed in 2000 at 36K. Service writer's note indicated they changed it due to age and fear it MIGHT break, not due to wear or any obvious other indicators. The tires were changed at the same time. They lasted 15 years without weather checking because it was (quite obviously if you saw it) a garage kept car. Valve adjustments were done four times over the last 24 years. The lady even kept all the gas receipts in a checkbook-sized wallet, all bought from the same Conoco station in town. She never put more than 4 gallons in at a time from the inch or so of receipts I looked through. Likely never left the county!

Wow.....

Originally Posted By: JMHC
I have an 07 V6 Accord Coupe and I love it. The gas mileage comments are bogus...I average 23-25 MPG in 50/50 driving in summer and just took a long trip...3 tanks yielded 28.5, 30, and 30 MPG traveling between 70-75 MPH. That's pretty good for 244 horsepower and a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds. The car has very few issues I know of. In 2003-04 the transmissions had problems but were rectified part way through 2004. This was clearly shown in the last issue of Consumer Reports auto buying guide (black mark 2003, half black 2004, top rating from there on out for trans).

Other than that the rear brake pads can go fast due to the brake distribution system that routes more brake force to the rear in normal stops. Some people have front rotor warping issues, which I have not experienced. Been a great car so far at 29K.

Oh, my dad had a 1994 Grand Marquis. On the highway it did no better than 25 MPG, so clearly I can't see how that gets better mileage than a V6 Accord.

My one lawyer has a V6 Coupe and he loves it. He hammers the heck out of it, saying it gets him to court on time like no other car he's owned.

I baby my 4cyl '07 Coupe. Rear pads are at least at 1/2 good, 38k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back