Looking at a used honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Accord 3.0 EX. 85k. (I have to assume most of that is freeway, cause thats ALOT of miles for three years.)

Anything that I should be wary of? Services that I should immediately do?

Car looks brand new (aside from a few chips on the front) nothing appears to be leaking, shifts feel good, engine is strong as an ox.

I am looking at this as a way to cut my car payment in half, but at the same time not step into a money pit.

My biggest concern off the top, is the giant lcd touch screen that controls everything. Its cool as [censored], but how much is THAT thing to replace?!
wink.gif

I wouold avoid a v6 accord.

18mpg city and 26 hwy is a disgrace for a car like this. My Crown Vic got better milage.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are worried it might have a problem. Only offer $12,000 or less if you like the car. Your $2500 margin of safety should take care of any future repair.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
The official EPA sticker was 20-29 in 2006.

My figures were taken from fueleconomy.gov

I have an 07 3.0 and it was getting about 28mpg on the hwy, on a trip. Not too bad.
21.gif

I don't have the touch screen so I can't help you there. BUT, with 85K, it won't be too long (depending on how much you drive) before you'll be looking at the timing belt/water pump service. That can be expensive depending on who and where it's done.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I would avoid a v6 accord.

18mpg city and 26 hwy is a disgrace for a car like this. My Crown Vic got better milage.

My [2] Crown Vics,Grand Marquis and my friends 98 Town Car also gets better mileage then that Accord

I wouold avoid a v6 accord.

+1000

Used hondas are terible deals and no better than any other used cars.

14500 isn't a good price, IMO, given the mileage and age. Tje only benefit is that you can assume it was all easy highway miles. I'd rather buy a new 4-cyl for not much more money and 0 miles. That body style in 06 is more to my liking though.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I would avoid a v6 accord.

My [2] Crown Vics,Grand Marquis and my friends 98 Town Car also gets better mileage then that Accord

Yeah, but your Crown Vic won't do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, nor will it be as fun to drive.

The V6 Accord will need a timing belt and valve adjustment at 105k. This costs about $1200 at the dealer.

What's ironic about that statement is that if you removed enough weight from the Crown Vic that it could do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, it would get even better gas mileage, too..making the Accord's gas mileage all the more atrocious.

That's high mileage. Is it a coupe or sedan? Can you shop around for a cleaner one? The payments ona new one are not too painfull if you settle for a 4cyl, which has no timing belt service. It's a roomy car, without the aweful transmission hump of the aformentioned dinosaurs. How many touch screens in a Townecar? lol. Srsly, 2009 Accord Value Package, like $199/mo. Some of the used cars got middling service, like 10k oil changes and likely zero trans fluids.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
That's high mileage. Is it a coupe or sedan? Can you shop around for a cleaner one? The payments ona new one are not too painfull if you settle for a 4cyl, which has no timing belt service. It's a roomy car, without the aweful transmission hump of the aformentioned dinosaurs. How many touch screens in a Townecar? lol. Srsly, 2009 Accord Value Package, like $199/mo. Some of the used cars got middling service, like 10k oil changes and likely zero trans fluids.

If he purchased a current generation Accord, he'd have to change his rear brake pads annually.
LOL.gif
The $199/mo lease is for the Accord LX and probably requires you to put down a ridiculous amount.

I'll look at my rears w/40k. I'm not shure of brake wear is the defining issue in auto selection.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'll look at my rears w/40k. I'm not shure of brake wear is the defining issue in auto selection.

It's only a problem with the 2008 and newer Accords. The 03-07s eat through rear pads quickly, but not at the alarming rate of the newer ones.

If I had to replace my rear brakes on an annual basis, that would significantly increase the cost of ownership, especially if I did not do it myself.

With the way the market is at this very moment, new is the way to go. Lots of dealers are DESPARATE just to get cars moving off the lot, even if they take a bath on it....

Honda's are great cars.

Used one's are not a good deal, usually. Like the guy said, it's getting close to the price of a new Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back