Looking at a used honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
a 4 cyl accord gets better mileage and is much easier to work on for the DIY'er. If you decide to get it, maker sure they lower the price at least 600 buck cause it will need the timing belt serviced, but i wanna say the newer honda's have a chain. honda's will run forever but there is a lot of talk about trans problems. I have not had any trans trouble and have 325K miles on my 95 accord. chances are, as with accords in that age group, they are asking for the higher end of the bluebook price--i would shop a LOT before buying any car. take your time

Hey all you "price of civic" folks need to go out there and try to buy a new Civic. You can get financing deals right now but you're gonna be hard pressed to get a Civic that you would WANT to drive for anything near $14k. Heck I offered $14k cash for a Fit and my dealer wasn't biting. Maybe in more depressed parts of the country it's different...

As for that vintage Accord, my parents have an 04 EX-6 without nav. My brother has an 05 EX 2.4l (also no nav). My parents have about 88k on theirs. They've never had a single problem other than a rat or squirrel chewing through the front 02 sensor wire. My brother just rolled over 300k on his. He's had his radio replaced and that's it. He is starting to consume a lot of oil but he won't take it in to have it checked out. I've tried to tell him it may just be the PCV. He doesn't care though. This is the same brother who put 250k miles on his 96 Tacoma and changed the oil exactly twice, topping up the rest of the time.

Both of them get 30+ on the highway.

Believe it or not, the Chrysler dealership on the main strip in our city is doing better than the Honda down the street (Honda is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy I hear). Best guess? Honda has FINALLY started giving worthwhile discounts. When I went looking for the Fit, they would not budge a dime on the Fit, and only a hundred bucks on the Civic. The Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep abomination has always given steep discounts. People in this town LOVE discounts!

Not quite at that level yet, but there are some decent discounts.

I'm just surprised they haven't started selling the Calibers for 11K up here (like The Chevy Cobalts). They're aweful to begin with, but to keep it as one of the priciest sub-compacts?

Suicide, I tell ya!

$14,500 for that 06 accord V6 EX with 85k seems expensive. You should not expect that particular accord will go 300K like some other accords. Try to find a similar accord with a low mileage. I'm pretty sure you will be able to find one. Actually there are many accords with less than 20,000 miles under $15,000. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Believe it or not, the Chrysler dealership on the main strip in our city is doing better than the Honda down the street (Honda is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy I hear). Best guess? Honda has FINALLY started giving worthwhile discounts. When I went looking for the Fit, they would not budge a dime on the Fit, and only a hundred bucks on the Civic. The Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep abomination has always given steep discounts. People in this town LOVE discounts!

I recently got an e-mail from a local honda dealer that a civic si was selling for 19,000. A friend of mind paid $23,000 + tax when it first came out. I do not think I will ever shop for a honda. I just do not want to pay the premium. Just guess how much you lose when you drive your brand new car out of the lot, even honda.

Other than distaste for Hondas... Does anyone know of any issues these cars have? Are the transmissions solid? Any known engine issues?

...and while the price may not be 'great', you cannot find one in this neck of the woods for cheap.

One owner, 150 round trip commute. (assumption based on the location of the dealers it went to.) In the dealer (two of them one in Portland OR, or one in Albany OR, like clock work every 5,000 miles.

Everyone said it's too many miles. It needs service and has worn-out parts. Did you even mention if it's a stick or manual? You seem determined to justify this purchase without much critical thought, is that what happened on your last impulse buy?

You have to ask yourself what are the reasons you want this car?

If it is Honda reliablity or fuel economy, I would agree with others and look at a new Civic or Fit. V6 Hondas put out some good power but their mileage is not very good.

$14,500 is a lot for a used Honda to me. Especially one with 86k on it. Not saying the car won't run forever, it very well could.

You could purchase an 04 Tortoise for about a 1/3 of the price with leather and only 61K miles on it. In my case, shear economics proved to play a bigger role than my ego. Saving nearly 10K is not something to laugh at. That's a lot of transmissions, and gas! Don't know about you, but we are trading our debt for the paid off maortgage as our "status symbol of choice" (Ramsey).

Used Honda vehicles seem to command a premium... at least in my area.

For that reason they are off my list when considering a used vehicle... because like any other used vehicle it may need some work to bring it into the mechanical & maintenance standard that I'm comfortable with.

Originally Posted By: tmundal
One owner, 150 round trip commute. (assumption based on the location of the dealers it went to.) In the dealer (two of them one in Portland OR, or one in Albany OR, like clock work every 5,000 miles.

Unfortunately, assumptions and regular trips to the dealer don't mean a whole lot other than perhaps regular oil changes.

My current vehicle had been to the dealer on a regular basis too before I purchased it... but there was still a number of maintenance issues that I needed to get taken care of.

Not saying that is the case here but you do need to do your due diligence to make sure you don't end up paying top dollar AND shelling more more for repairs afterwards.

keep looking, get a 4-cylinder accord. better gas mileage, and really a better drivetrain than the V6's. the I4 is torquey and has plenty of power (just be sure and get the vtec version, i think they all are now). you can probably find one for less money also, $16k is way too much for an '06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back