Looking at a Subaru Forester, oil leak question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Im looking at a Subaru forester locally.

I think the price is a bit high, but considering what theyre going for around here, it may not be too bad.

It has roughly 120k miles, the body is near mint. no rust, dings dents..

I'ts an X automatic, the engine is spotless, although there is a light oil leak around the head, which looks suspect.

He's asking $7200 and would probably budge a bit.

The timing belt will need to be done soon as well.

Any thoughts? I think it's a bit high considering.

Thanks.

I have 2 Foresters. They are very very good cars. The oil leak is pretty much standard due to leaky head gaskets. You may be able to get the price down some if you explain the cost involved in replacing them. Do the timing and head gaskets together. Get the master timing kit with water pump, and MLS head gaskets.

A little more info on the cars as well. What year, maintenance done etc.....

Subarus are great cars. They are worth a little dedicated maintenance.

What year ?

I paid $4200 for my 2001 and it just crossed 100K and had the timing belt done + head gaskets replaced (documented).

The head gasket is almost a guarantee -The key is to use the Subaru Radiator conditioner during routine radiator flush and fills

You're going to want to do the timing belt pronto. Interval is 105K. Man, this guy drove the car all the way to and beyond the maintenance checkpoints that are the most expensive. I'd check the brakes, oil changes, rust, if he let the timing belt go 20,000 past recommended mileage, what else did he ignore? Are all four tires the same, or has he been replacing them two at a time? Are the tires about to have to be replaced also? Ryan, this guy selling this car to you, he's a driver, not an OWNER. Drivers drive them, spending as little as possible. For them, the car is disposal, like Kleenex. Use em up, throw em away, let someone ELSE fix it. For an OWNER, like most here, the car is something to be cared for.

This guy is throwing the car away having driven it to the last mile before something big HAS to be done. And he's demanding top dollar, no doubt. Don't reward him. I'd offer him NADA wholesale book minus the head gasket and timing belt, tires, whatever is big that he's neglected, it should come right off the top. And that's just a start. You may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg. If he wants to negotiate from there, offer to negotiate DOWN. That's what dealers do, why not us?

Last edited:
The valve cover gasket is very common and not super expensive to fix and relatively easy on non-turbo Subaru motors.

What year Subaru for $7200? That seems steep but Canada is pretty expensive in terms of vehicles.

It pays to have looked at several cars you're considering.
I say this because Subarus are wildly popular in many locations.
If you're in one of them you have to be ready to buy fast (at least a little faster than you otherwise might). Kira

Sorry guys. Its an '06.

I still think it's too high. Not that it's out of step for the resale subarus demand out here, but by the time I do the head gasket, I'll have 10k into a car with 120k miles.

It just seems a bit much.

Thanks guys. Apparently, it was this guys son who recently bought that car. He couldn't make the payments, so theyre selling it.

They haven't owned it for more than a year, so I let him off the hook a little with maintenance.

What bothers me, is that I actually research my vehicles, and put a lot of thought into spending even 7 grand. This kid just goes out and drops the cash, really having no idea what he's bought or driving. Some cars need special attention.

Anyway, thanks guys, as much as this truck is spotless I might pass.

Fwiw, HG leaks are usually loss of coolant, overheating, or mixing coolant into oil. External engine leaks tend to be valve covers or cam seals on these engines. That's been my experience. If its a cam seal and the timing belt is overdue, they are really lucky.

Before you pass go to subaruforester.org
You can click on the regional forums to see who works on them in your area. The head gaskets and timing won't cost you anywhere near $3,000. The 06 is a great model year and 120,000 is nothing on these engines.

My 2000 has 218,000 and runs great.

Seems like a normal range for it. Based on a 2010 forester in very good the range starts at 7500$. Head gasket and belt are big jobs, try and get the price down.

Yeah, that's why Im thinking hes a bit off.

It just seems high, considering a AWD vibe would have half the mileage at that price.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Trade in value is 4-5k on an 06. Check out kbb.com.

An AWD Vibe is not on the same class as a Forester. AWD on a Vibe is an afterthought. A Forester is built around the concept.

Either way shop on, it was obviously owned by a kid who didn't care about maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
An AWD Vibe is not on the same class as a Forester. AWD on a Vibe is an afterthought. A Forester is built around the concept.

Either way shop on, it was obviously owned by a kid who didn't care about maintenance.

Yes, I agree. I'm just thinking budget and reliability for the two, would put the Vibe ahead comparing mileage to mileage.

I have seen a few higher mileage subarus with no gasket seapage, but they were maintained to the word in the manual. I'm starting to get frustrated by the large percentage of people who have no bloody clue about maintenance.

I've heard everything.... "any idea of timing belt replacement?" .......ah no, but it's had a fresh oil change recently........ "good for you" lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back