Looking at a 2020 Honda Pilot for my wife

This only has one of my dislikes: GDI.

Traveling about 5 hours to see it this week. Not sure if it has the 6 or 9 speed.

Are Honda V6s still belt driven or have they gone to a chain? I've been out of the business for 15 years!

What should I look for? Would you buy one of these?

This is to replace our 2010 CR-V. I'm not stuck on Honda, but this is within out price range and a size which suits our family.

Thanks!!!

GDI in 2020 is not as big a deal as gdi in 2008 audi.
Keep relatively fresh oil in it and maybe budget for a once per 100k mile valve cleaning that probably isnt needed

They still have a timing belt. We have enjoyed our 2017 Pilot EX-L (6 sp.), bought new and currently has 92,000 trouble free miles. It did have the injectors replaced under TSB at about 60,000 miles. These GDI engines don't seem to have troubles, possibly due to the injector and valve geometry. I did use CRC GDI Intake valve cleaner at about 50,000 miles. Who knows what good it did. I also have a 2021 Ridgeline with the ZF 9 sp. I have no issues with it at all, very smooth, like it better than the 6 sp. in my 2017 Ridgeline, but not enough to make it a factor in a buying decision.

As far as what to look for, trans maintenance is pretty important for the 6 speeds. Does it have a towing package/ATF cooler? AWD? Just general maintenance history.

As far as what to look for, trans maintenance is pretty important for the 6 speeds. Does it have a towing package/ATF cooler? AWD? Just general maintenance history.
Yep - needs VERY frequent drain and refills with DW-1 or else you will get nasty torque converter shudder. Like every 15k or less.
And the torque converters will still occasionally fail.

Last edited:
Yep - needs VERY frequent drain and refills with DW-1 or else you will get nasty torque converter shudder. Like every 15k or less.
And the torque converters will still occasionally fail.
To add to this, we have had several V6 Hondas, including a 2001 Odyssey with the 4 sp. (historically problematic) that had 210,000 trouble free miles before we sold it. Total of ~500,000 miles over 6 vehicles. Never had a transmission hiccup. But, I added a Honda transmission cooler to every one, and did a 3.5 qt D/F every 10-15,000 miles. If it is a 6 sp, it will have a dip stick, just check the fluid. I have used different fluids, but in my anecdotal experience a cooler with frequent fluid changes like @The Critic says is a recipe for happiness.

Is it a simple drain and fill like the 5 speed auto in the CR-V? I've changed that every 50k. with 170k on the clock now, no issues. Also do the rear diff at the same time.

I'd just buy a case of fluid from Idemetsu if they are a good supplier or whatever BITOG recommends.

More often to avoid problems is not an issue with me.

To add to this, we have had several V6 Hondas, including a 2001 Odyssey with the 4 sp. (historically problematic) that had 210,000 trouble free miles before we sold it. Total of ~500,000 miles over 6 vehicles. Never had a transmission hiccup. But, I added a Honda transmission cooler to every one, and did a 3.5 qt D/F every 10-15,000 miles. If it is a 6 sp, it will have a dip stick, just check the fluid. I have used different fluids, but in my anecdotal experience a cooler with frequent fluid changes like @The Critic says is a recipe for happiness.
Just splicing a passive aftermarket cooler into a rubber line? Or something with a dedicated fan and thermostat?

Is it a simple drain and fill like the 5 speed auto in the CR-V? I've changed that every 50k. with 170k on the clock now, no issues. Also do the rear diff at the same time.

I'd just buy a case of fluid from Idemetsu if they are a good supplier or whatever BITOG recommends.

More often to avoid problems is not an issue with me.
Exact same. 3.75-4.0 quarts each time. Use the real Honda fluid, none of the aftermarkets have the same chemistry.

I generally recommend a drain and refill every 2-3 oil changes.

Other than that, they're pretty solid. There was a warranty extension for the MOST Bus Network Connectors to 5/60, that was also a somewhat annoying issue that requires a very labor intensive repair.

IIRC the Touring has the ZF9 and the other trims have the H6. 15k drains are excessive...but 25k is still a realistic number. Very simple, easier than an oil change. Some have used Valvoline Max Life with good results, I've only ever used Honda DW-1. The J series with DI is not known to have any carbon issues.

Just splicing a passive aftermarket cooler into a rubber line? Or something with a dedicated fan and thermostat?
Depends on the transmission, but they both have an air cooled OEM cooler available. My opinion is that is all that is needed. Of course a small Tru-Cool would work great, but then you have to figure out mounting. And they are just air cooled and sit in front of the radiator.

1679960598855.jpg

Torque converter was bad, shuddered really bad. Rest of the vehicle was really beat up for being 3 years old, and was overall way too much money for the condition.

Her 2010 interior in in much better shape than this 2020.

We passed.
If you have a 2010 Pilot with a good interior, you have a peach and should keep it. Of course that is my opinion and I have no knowledge of your needs or wants. But my 23 yr old son has a 2012 Pilot that we have put 80k miles on since we bought it in 2018 with 70k miles on it (150k miles now). He is graduating from LSU with his engineering degree this May, already has a job, and doesn't want to get anything new because it just wouldn't make economic sense. And his has been through years of high school and LSU parking lots, so it has a well worn interior and exterior. Take care of that 2010 and wait for the market to come back to normal.

Or just get a new Pilot. Used cars right now, especially Hondas and Toyotas, are not good value.

I'm pretty sure a 2020 will not have the 6-speed transmission. I believe 2019 was the last year for that transmission in anything.

Torque converter was bad, shuddered really bad. Rest of the vehicle was really beat up for being 3 years old, and was overall way too much money for the condition.

We passed.
Probably just need a fluid change (or 3).

I'm pretty sure a 2020 will not have the 6-speed transmission. I believe 2019 was the last year for that transmission in anything.
All trim levels except touring:

I routinely tow 5K with my 2017 6 speed ridgeline - no trans problems.

You've got belts, water pump, roller AND valve adjustment.

Differential is also a maint item requiring dual pump II fluid every 7-15K - it's easy.

We passed.
Probably just need a fluid change (or 3).

we like ours a lot. great on long trips - seats are fantastic, decent on gas, plenty of USB plugs for the kids' devices. it is also pretty easy to stow the third row seats.

the bus network issue is my only real concern, but they did extend the warranty. (supposedly, it appears as static in the audio system).

we don't have a ton of miles yet (10k) - but only one warranty trip for a loose side mirror (it could have been hit in a parking lot, but the dealer fixed it as a defect).

we also have a 2009 CRV, and the maintenance minder behavior is very different - much shorter oil change and rear diff intervals on the pilot. (diff fluid code just came up at 10k).

only minor quibble is that the climate control is a bit weak. could be a personal preference (or I'm getting old), but it seems like you need to ride the fan pretty high to get a good amount of AC up front, or heat around your feet on the driver side. (I thought my kids broke a blend door messing with the rear seat controls, but we were told it is normal).

thanks for the trans cooler tips. are these factory installed on any models, or is a straight add on?

Back