Looking at a 2008 Cherokee Laredo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLM

My local dealer has an 08 Cherokee Laredo 4WD I am interested in.
47,600 miles
3.7L Gasoline engine
full time 4wd
Can anyone tell me their experiences with these?
I'm most interested in learning about the engine and transmission. Tell me the good, bad,&/or ugly about them please.
How hard is it to change the trans fluid myself?? I saw the oil filter right up front and easy to get to thank goodness. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I extensively drove a 2006 Dakota and an 05 (I think) Grand Cherokee both with the 3.7 engine. The best thing I can say about the 3.7 is it seems to be reliable, because its certainly not powerful. I disliked the gutlessness (is that a word?) of the 3.7 engine, but I have not heard any complaints otherwise. (the Dakota is a work truck, and takes a fair amount of abuse)

The 3.7L is underpowered for that size vehical, and a fuel pig. Expect no better than 14 city and 18 highway. The transmission is a very good unit - although it does have 2 filters: one normal one for the sump, and a screw on filter for the oil cooler return - although both filters are under the pan. the recommended change interval is 30k. make sure to use ATF+4 fluid. the tranny is very reliable and is actually rated for much more torque than it will see in that truck. I've owned 4 Grand Cherokees, and loved every one of them - although I liked the 4.0L engine better than the 3.7. I also liked the 4.7 and the 5.2

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
The 3.7L is underpowered for that size vehical, and a fuel pig. Expect no better than 14 city and 18 highway. The transmission is a very good unit - although it does have 2 filters: one normal one for the sump, and a screw on filter for the oil cooler return - although both filters are under the pan. the recommended change interval is 30k. make sure to use ATF+4 fluid. the tranny is very reliable and is actually rated for much more torque than it will see in that truck. I've owned 4 Grand Cherokees, and loved every one of them - although I liked the 4.0L engine better than the 3.7. I also liked the 4.7 and the 5.2

I don't think the W5A580 uses 2 transmission filters. The 545RFE on the 4.7L and Hemi models use two filters.

The interval for severe service is 60K on ATF+4. 30K is probably not a bad idea.

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#TRANS

Reliable engines, they drink fuel though so be prepared...

The transmissions are very good if you keep them maintained with fresh fluid and filters at no more than 30K OCI's.

If you are driving it in extreme conditions or towing I would beef up the transmission cooler with a bigger external one.

Other than that they are great vehicles and you will see many trouble free miles IMO!
wink.gif

I've been considering a newer GC myself. Like what the others have said, I think the 4.7L is the way to go. It's a big, heavy vehicle and IMO the 4.7L is probably the best balance of power and fuel economy.

Of course, every now and then I see an SRT8 and drool a bit...

If your going to buy a Cherokee, buy the engine that gives you the most HP as you'll want it and they eat roughly the same amount of GAS.

My Xterra V6 is only 180hp and guzzles gas from dragging around its 4k lb chassis. Thank god I didn't get the 4 banger.

Originally Posted By: Anies
If your going to buy a Cherokee, buy the engine that gives you the most HP as you'll want it and they eat roughly the same amount of GAS.

Could always get the diesel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back