Looked for Penz Plat Ultra out in the wild today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked a few of the auto parts stores -- AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts near me. They had a 5 qt jug of the new Platinum for $36.99 at each store. Seemed a little steep. No Ultra though. Stopped by a couple of Walmarts on the way home. They also had the jugs of the new Platinum -- $25.17, which seems a relative bargain.

Anyone seen the new Pennzoil Platinum Ultra out at a store near you? I'm curious about the jug price as well as a VOA.

Go on Walmart.com and order it for the site-to-store and they'll ship it there free, you wait like 2 days then go pick it up. My Walmart website says the Ultra is $25.17

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Go on Walmart.com and order it for the site-to-store and they'll ship it there free, you wait like 2 days then go pick it up. My Walmart website says the Ultra is $25.17

Tried that last night. It says the new Platinum Ultra is available in stores only and doesn't give me the option to do Site to Store, which I've done before with other purchases.

The site does show the old Ultra available for STS for 25.17.

Odd.

Wow, I've never noticed the picture was of the old stuff. Walmart May not know the difference between the older stuff from last year and the new stuff and may not have updated their website. If you can get the older style stuff it's better than the new stuff anyways. My Walmart says you have to spend $50 for free shipping. 2 jugs would make for $50

w8ls0h.jpg

I think its spelled "Penz Plat Ultr"

Maybe one reason you had a hard time finding it.

Walmarts here don't have new ultra plat. either, autozone has it but only 0w40 & 5w40 iirc.
It seems when the oil aisle rework was changed at Wally world here they returned Castrol gold bottle and maxlife full SYN. And added RP, and Pennzoil & QS syn-blends.
Probably not going to stock PUP here because old ultra didn't sell, I have about 20 jugs on clearance for $15-$21.

They stock what sells, closest Wally to me doesn't stock QSUD 0w20, but the store 5 miles farther does, each store can be little different in my experience

Just joined up after lurking for years...

Anyway, a couple local Wal-Mart's stock the new Platinum and Ultra Platinum. $27.94 for PUP.

A few Walmarts carry PUP here in the 5qt jug but everyone I saw had a March 2014 date on the bottle so I doubt Walmart will stock more...$28. Amazon has some PUP for like $35 a jug and PUP 10w30 3-pack jug for like $93.

Guys,

A few years ago I was a big Pennzoil user, and I still love their Pennzoil conventional, if I had a car that could use it, that is.

But their marketing, and more importantly, their distributing network sucks. So, for my synthetic needs it's QSUD or M1.

And notice that, unless it's some marketing news, even Suzanne doesn't grace our site much.

What a colossal failure. There are numerous posters here that have more marketing sense in their little fingers than Pennzoil appears to have in their entire team.

I try to refrain from being negative here, but when the nation's largest retailer can not make a deal with SOPUS, to get the newest Pennzoil Platinum Ultra on the shelves at a competitive price, it makes me wonder how serious SOPUS is with introducing their latest oils.

It just irritates the you know what out of me.
frown.gif

Gary

Originally Posted By: Atomic
Just joined up after lurking for years...

Anyway, a couple local Wal-Mart's stock the new Platinum and Ultra Platinum. $27.94 for PUP.

Welcome.
grin2.gif
welcome2.gif

Only 1 out of 5 different Walmarts that I've checked lately have had the new Ultra (they also had a little bit of the old Ultra). That one happened to be in Southern Utah actually. That Walmart was one of the larger stores (seems that newer ones are smaller) and had more shelf-space. I realize that's not very helpful, but Walmart does carry it at some of their stores. I have not seen the new Ultra at any auto parts stores yet.

Wow, I've never noticed the picture was of the old stuff. Walmart May not know the difference between the older stuff from last year and the new stuff and may not have updated their website. If you can get the older style stuff it's better than the new stuff anyways. My Walmart says you have to spend $50 for free shipping. 2 jugs would make for $50

I'm a little late to the PPU party, but been running 15k OCI's on "old" Penn Ultra in my Lexus IS350 for 100k and 3 years with amazing UOA's... Curious if there are some good threads on the concensus of the old Ultra being a better product. If so, I'd like to stock up via STS.

Thanks!
Nick

Originally Posted By: BeerLube

I'm a little late to the PPU party, but been running 15k OCI's on "old" Penn Ultra in my Lexus IS350 for 100k and 3 years with amazing UOA's... Curious if there are some good threads on the concensus of the old Ultra being a better product. If so, I'd like to stock up via STS.

Thanks!
Nick

Today I received my 2 x 5 qt jugs of classic PU ordered about a week ago and delievered via free UPS shipping ($50 min order - they were $25 per jug). Seals on the jugs were unopened.

I know everyone's got their favorite oil, but I have loved the way my Fit sounds and feels since I switched to PU. Now I have a total mini-stash of 16 quarts which translates to 4 oil changes for the Fit. Maybe in 3 years or so when I've gone through this I'll switch to the new formula PPU or find something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back