LOOK what MMO did to my pistons!!!!!!! and MORE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I'd really worry about is the cat. Most of you know that various oil additives are limited to BELOW certain levels for a given API grade, presumably because even the tiny amounts that might get burned in the combustion chamber might hurt the cat.

So assuming this is a conservative-but-rational reg, wouldn't it seem that burning entire quarts of oil, not controlled for quantities of cat-harmful components, in the space of a few tanks of gas, would be very likely to do real damage?

On the other hand, at least some oil is okay. Your engine is designed to burn some, and MMO is oil, and neither of those seems to hurt. Just wondering if anybody might know more about this I guess. ****, I'd like to try it. But I have a new cat and I'd like it to last a while.

- Glenn

Well I ran a 2 tanks of Shell Vpower w/4-6oz of Acetone through my tank, then a tank w/Techron (20oz bottle), and I'm about halfway down on a tank with 1/2qt of MMO.

Well today I go to change my plugs/cap/rotor and when I pulled the plugs out of the car there was Zero oil or Carbon on the Porcelain, Electrode or Ground prong. The base of the plug by the threads had a slight coating of carbon. These plugs looked like they'd been in the car for only a few hundred miles. Unbelievably clean.

I'm not sure how long they've been in the car (82 Merc 280E) but I'm willing to bet at least a few thousand miles (i contacted the PO to see if he knew when they were done last). Wish I pulled them when I first got the car to see what condition they were in, but my car runs way smoother than when I first got it a month ago. Only changes done before today were the additives to the fuel and ARX added to new oil with BC 5-40. The plugs/wires/cap/rotor didn't affect any smoothness. I'm also not sure how much affect driving the car hard benifited the situation. (if you baby any German car it'll run liks $hit, you need to run the motor hard and they like to run on the hotter side too, many folks wrongfully use a low temp t-stat)

glennc ...just don't do any massive dosing. Like I said ..this is not recommended by anyone. Not a manufacturer, refiner, producer, blender ..not anyone including ME. This is just what I did ..and what the results were. YMMV (your results could surely be different).

Listen to your conservative anxiety and start SMALL. If you see favorable results ...stop there. If you see no results after a few attempts ..stop there too. You may have nothing wrong
dunno.gif

Just because you're paranoid about your new cat ..doesn't mean that bad stuff won't happen to it.
grin.gif

Keep in mind that I'm a "scoffer" (visions of Brian Keith in "Mountain Men" when he and Charlton Heston were attack by about 15 hostiles and killed them all. Charlton said "That was one -ell of a fight" Brian Keith scoffs, "You call that a fight?" as he turns to show that he's been pierced by an arrow through the upper chest. He pulls the arrow and spits on it ...then topples like a felled tree) I really have some insatiable need to totally, with prejudice, discount any "You'll shoot your eye out kid" type rhetorical scare tactic that isn't based in "here's what will happen and why". If they don't have a reasonable shred of proof (or sound reasoning) to support their position (other then saying "you'll bear the curse of the albatross for the rest of your earthly existance") ..then those statements have little weight with me. This is totally different then advising caution in all things when you're stepping outside the envelope of normal experience.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Gary, what happened to the pic in the original post? Please repost that photo if you still have it.

cheers3.gif

+1, I'd like to see it too.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Gary, what happened to the pic in the original post? Please repost that photo if you still have it.

cheers3.gif

You beat me to it, wish the pictures were still available.

Frank D

That is pretty impressive to say the least. It almost looks like you started using a wire wheel on a drill to clean it up. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Thanks for posting the pictures!
Frank D

The second head image is after spraying some brake clean. While it wasn't on the pistons, the head(s) appeared to be mostly void of deposits ..but had an oily coating on them. The valves had a soft soot which I think was due to the amount of MMO ..but it could have been what MMO did to the former hard valve deposits. This thing was a fogger for a long time before Auto-Rx ..so there was enough oil dripping through to produce substantial formations.

This was merely to establish that MMO, even in massive doses, did no harm. I can't stand endless speculation. The best way to end the debate (well, here, that's not possible) was to go 400% overboard and see if anything bad happens. Nothing did. The starting turned to a "bump of the key". The emissions testing was stellar. The plugs looked like Hades ..but I think that was due to too much over such a short time in deposit removal/migration ..but it could have just been from so much MMO at one time. Again, starting improved ..but mainly the effect was a decent fog following the minivan
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

This was merely to establish that MMO, even in massive doses, did no harm. I can't stand endless speculation. The best way to end the debate (well, here, that's not possible) was to go 400% overboard and see if anything bad happens. Nothing did. The starting turned to a "bump of the key". The emissions testing was stellar. The plugs looked like Hades ..but I think that was due to too much over such a short time in deposit removal/migration ..but it could have just been from so much MMO at one time. Again, starting improved ..but mainly the effect was a decent fog following the minivan
grin2.gif

Too much at once will foul the [censored] out of your plugs, but oh how I love the tell-tale blue fog!

Were dosage of the 2 qts ATF and 1 qt MMO based on anything? I'm considering trying this. Maybe 1/2 qt MMO and 1/2 qt ATF in 5 gallons (1/4 tank). That way, if it runs bad, I could go to the station and fill up with up to 15 gallons of gas to dilute the mix.

Also, did you have smoke coming out the tailpipe ALL the time, or just in the mornings during warm-up?

Finally, have you now done this to all your other vehicles?

Originally Posted By: jsap
Were dosage of the 2 qts ATF and 1 qt MMO based on anything? I'm considering trying this. Maybe 1/2 qt MMO and 1/2 qt ATF in 5 gallons (1/4 tank). That way, if it runs bad, I could go to the station and fill up with up to 15 gallons of gas to dilute the mix.

Also, did you have smoke coming out the tailpipe ALL the time, or just in the mornings during warm-up?

Finally, have you now done this to all your other vehicles?

Holy thread revival Batman!

Forgive me to being late, just want to grat, dam it does make big different, you use MMO in oil and gas garry ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, SKUNKY, I hope more MMO users have the courage to come out of the closet.

My name is Gary Allan ..and I'm a MMO user.

quote:

+1

Welcome to the Club

Originally Posted By: c3po
Yes, SKUNKY, I hope more MMO users have the courage to come out of the closet.

My name is Gary Allan ..and I'm a MMO user.

quote:

+1

Welcome to the Club

Wow!!!!!!! Welcome aboard Gary, glad to have you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back