Look what followed me home today from my dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

These are really nice pistols for the cash. Exterior finish is to a very high standard and the front strap checkering is well done. No plastic mainspring housing. Only gripes are the safety engagement is not as crisp as I would like. it is not loose, but it doesn't click with authority as I would like. That can be fixed with a file/stone. They also ship the thing filthy and slathered in heavy oil. I took it down to a bare frame to clean it (always fun to reassemble a series 80 gun).

Tomorrow a box comes with some Wilson Combat parts so I can ditch the full length guide rod for a GI setup.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Nice! Do you plan any customizations?

Well Auto Ordnance does a pretty good job of it from the factory. The one thing I hate is the one piece guide rod. So I have some Wilson Combat parts coming from Brownells to change it to a GI setup.

Other than that I will see how the trigger behaves as it wears in. It may get some Wilson Parts eventually. It is light and breaks well...but has a bit of creep. Of course most series 80 guns do.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: CT8
9 mm or 45?

45acp...they don't make it in any other caliber.
Been shooting other peoples 9MM 1911s. though 9MM isn't a manly caliber I am liking the 1911s in 9MM

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
9 mm or 45?

45acp...they don't make it in any other caliber.
Been shooting other peoples 9MM 1911s. though 9MM isn't a manly caliber I am liking the 1911s in 9MM

Most would prefer a 9mm over a .45ACP for comfort & their accuracy would be far better, From someone that has owned & carried a Colt 1911 .45 & a Smith & Wesson 1911 9mm.

I agree, the 9mm 1911 is a sweet shooter. I wish there were more choices in 38 Super ammo, because that is still my favorite 1911 chambering.

Very nice gun. My 1911 is a 38 Super and I love it. I don't care for the .45 acp actually but that it why we have choices.

I enjoy shooting the 1911-45 so much I bought a GSG 1911-22. A real pleasure to shoot.

I had been looking at Springers, Remington R1's, and the Ruger SR1911. But this was a steal I think at just 609 bucks (MSRP of 866) for an American made stainless 1911. Basically it is like a Remington R1 enhanced but for less than the standard R1 price.

Last edited:
That AO is sweet! I've always wanted one but never the right time when I would see one AND have $$.

I am starting a new row of 1911's......this time 9's

I think I may spring for having it hard chromed, as I may end up carrying it. It may get sent off to Mahovsky or APW soon. Just gotta break it in and make sure its reliable first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Beautiful! I like the Thompson engraving.

I do too. On the other side is just a small tasteful rollmark that says "Thompson Custom"

I like it when 1911's have tasteful markings. Some like to use it as a giant billboard. It is one thing that kept me away from the Bul made Magnum Research 1911's. Although, if that does not bother you, I say those are among the best 1911's for the money (under 1k).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back