Look like oil droplets inside the reserved cooling tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 13,xxx on my 2004 Acura TL. I just changed my oil with M1 5W-30 at 13,000. I also added 4 oz. LC during the oil change and used FP60. I also added 1 bottle of 8 oz. Red Line Wet Wetter to my radiator. After driving for several hundred miles, approximately 300 miles, I checked my reserved coolant tank and I saw some weird mixture. It looked like oil/water mixture. Do you think the wet wetter cause this problem or oil somehow got into my cooling system? I'm not sure whether it was oil, but it looks like oil droplet. What do you think?

The problem is the RL water wetter. Many aftermarket additives for the cooling system cause this problem. A big offender also is Prestone water pump lubricant. Does not hurt anything, just looks nasty.

I have heard some complaints of some gelling with Water Wetter, but you need to do a more thorough check to determine exactly what this is. When I saw some stuff like this I thought it was just old coolant and flushed it, and a little came back and I thought I had just not flushed well enough. A few weeks later the in radiator tranny cooler puked into the cooling system. Luckily I noticed the bad shifting from the low fluid and went straight home and went to check the fluid running of course, found ATF everywhere as it had overfilled the coo0ling system. I removed the colleant cap BEFORE shutting the car off this of course required great care not to get burned. The rerason I did that is because when running the tranny cooler circuit is pressurized to some extent as is the coolant from heating the tranny pressure is high enough to pump into the coolant. When you shut off the car tranny pressure drops to zero instantly but pressure remains in the cooling system till it cools. Had I not removed the coolant cap the pressurized coolant would have gotten into the tranny and been sudden death for it. I don't know about your car but in radiator oil and tranny coolers are common and would be the first thing I would suspect if indeed getting an oily substance in the coolant. Hopefully this is nothing like your problem for your wallets sake. I just thought it worth typing out becuase maybe it can help you keep the repair costs low as possible.

Redline seems to leave a floating oil slick in the recovery bottle.

It has never been a problem. And, I never have seen gelling with waterwetter.

If you're are worried about it, change the antifreeze and don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back