Longevity Oil Amc 258

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned alot of Amcs with the inline six.They always seem to prefer thicker oil.So now that I'm on the synthetic oil bandwagon,is Castrol edge 5w50 a good choice?

Those are pretty tough. 7 main bearings too. By now it probly needs a timing chain and gears.the stock cam gear has nylon teeth.my boss has a jeep with the 258 and its chain wore through the timing cover.

Any 10wxx will be fine

AMC's do tend to do well on heavier oils, but IMO a 50-weight is just overkill. Doesn't do anything except waste power if the engine is in any sort of decent shape. No need to go to more than a heavy-ish 30 or light 40 weight.

I dont have a 258 anymore but still have one of its decendants. I agree they like thicker oils, but as mentioned a thick 30 or light 40 is more than enough.

JMO but i honestly think they do better on conventionals at reasonable intervals.

Don't these things seem to last forever regardless of oil used? I agree that a 50 weight is a bit excessive.

IIRC, a member here once mentioned about an old girlfriend, sister etc. that had one and accidently ran it for quite some time with no oil in the sump. After someone who was a bit more mechanically inclined heard it, the oil was checked and the dipstick was bone dry. Oil was added and the Jeep lived on.

In Portland, OR i would use a 5w-40 or 10w-40 weight in winter months and either a 5w-40 a 10w-40 or a 15w-40 in warmer months. Castrol GTX 10w-40 comes to mind for winter and Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for warm temps is what i would prob do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back