Longest time on synthetic oil

I currently drive about 5,000 miles a year and change the conventional oil once a year in the fall. If i were to switch to a quality synthetic oil, what's the longest time you would go? I don't know the engine because I'm considering this for a future vehicle. It won't be any high performance or force induction engine. I'm debating if the added cost of the oil would be offset by the less frequent changes

It is possible to go longer, but I see no reason to do so. Got a short tripped vehicle in the family that only accumulated ~52k miles in last 11 years. I change oil every year using full synthetic from "sales" stash. Currently (last 2 years, and possibly next year) the oil of choice is Idemitsu 0W20. With a short tripped vehicle oxidation takes place quicker than a daily driven vehicle that gets 20k miles per year. Rough numbers, but hopefully gets the point across. Many (if not all) manufacturers actually consider short tripped vehicles to be in Severe Service category, and recommend to follow severe service maintenance schedule.

I currently drive about 5,000 miles a year and change the conventional oil once a year in the fall. If i were to switch to a quality synthetic oil, what's the longest time you would go? I don't know the engine because I'm considering this for a future vehicle. It won't be any high performance or force induction engine. I'm debating if the added cost of the oil would be offset by the less frequent changes
How about a little more information on the vehicle and your typical driving cycle.

A GM 3.6 DI that mostly 2 to 5 mi trips might get a little different recommendations from a GM 3800 that gets mostly 10 mi plus trips.

How about a little more information on the vehicle and your typical driving cycle.

A GM 3.6 DI that mostly 2 to 5 mi trips might get a little different recommendations from a GM 3800 that gets mostly 10 mi plus trips.
Current vehicle is an 06 Chrysler Town and Country. I'm looking to replace that in a few months and I'm not sure with what. The driving is 4 miles each way to work with some longer drives on the weekend.

The only thing I really know about those engines is that letting the oil level get low can lead to cam bearing failure and the valvetrain likes lower grade oils.

My inclination is to think something like M1 EP in 0W-20 every 24 months or a Synthetic Blend (Most all conventionals really are today) 5W-20 every 12 months.

However I would default to someone that knows more about the 3.3L / 3.8L than I do.

Back