Longest time in use for synthetic oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the longest time have you used a synthetic oil filter? Not miles. I went just over two years on a Fram Ultra. C&P showed it was fine of course. I recall someone going 3 years. But, that was the longest. Ty

My dad's beater Ford Ranger sees an oil change every 5 years because it's only used a couple times a year for dump hauling. He uses basic Fram filters. I know you said Synthetic but I wanted to point out that even his non-synthetic ones are lasting 5 years no problem.

Last edited:
I ran a Motorcraft (NOT Synthetic) FL-1A for 30,000 miles back in the early to middle 90's (3X oil changes, same filter) on a 400M V8 F250 doing a LOT of pulling/towing.... and it held up great.

It looked perfect when it was cut open. No sludge, no failures.

I don't think you have much to be concerned about running a synthetic oil filter to 50,000+ with regular oil changes and a very clean engine internally.

M-104 Mobil 1 oil filter on my dad's Honda.
5 years and 18K miles. I did a yearly OCI with dino oil.

Zero worry if engine is clean with no sludge.

I have a wix/napa 51515/1515 (NOT Synthetic) filter on my branch chipper (Ford 4-cyl industrial engine) - it's been on for nearly 20 years. I took some photos and posted them somewhere on here.

I spin it off - and fill it with oil every time before I run it.

It always looks perfect inside. Someday - - I'll cut it open and post pictures.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I ran a Motorcraft (NOT Synthetic) FL-1A for 30,000 miles back in the early to middle 90's (3X oil changes, same filter) on a 400M V8 F250 doing a LOT of pulling/towing.... and it held up great.

It looked perfect when it was cut open. No sludge, no failures.

I don't think you have much to be concerned about running a synthetic oil filter to 50,000+ with regular oil changes and a very clean engine internally.

^^^^^^^

I'd be willing to bet this is very likely true.

One concern could be in rust belt area would be obviously rusting out the can from exposure to road salt and water.. In this case a inspection of it would obviously be advisable. But hey... Since a whole lot of people on here are diyers... That would be done each time they change their own oil out.

Originally Posted by Malo83
5K, gets thrown out with the old oil.

But with a car/truck you've taken care of for a long time and very well.... I'd bet it could go a really, really long time. If I have gotten a car/truck from you that you have taken care of... I'd have no issue with running a Fram Ultra for 25k miles plus
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Malo83
5K, gets thrown out with the old oil.

You don't recycle your old oil??

Wally World gets all my used oil and filters
thumbsup2.gif

There's a guy on here with a filter on his woodsplitter that's like 20 years old. I think that one holds the record! And it's a standard filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back