??Longest OCI on 6.0 Powerstroke w/UOA to Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought the title would pull in the 6.0 guys, but this is a question for the people that know someone or who have actually went extended OCI's themselves with a quality 5w40, 10w30, 5w30(amsoil hdd), had a bypass filter, and UOA's to back the extended OCI's.
The quality oils that come to mind are: Rotella, Delo, Redline, Amsoil, Valvoline, Mobil 1, or John Deer.
What is the BEST You have seen proof of with good UOA?

I've seen a good UOA for a 6.0 powerstroke running the Rotella T5 10w30 It was taken at approximately 8,800 miles if I recall correctly, but that is as far as I've seen the OCI taken on these HEUI engines that are notorious for shearing oils over 30w.

I was thinking about trying the Amsoil 10w30 ACD with bypass filter and doing 5,000 miles UOA's and seeing if that full synthetic would achieve an extended interval more towards 15000-20000 miles, but I'm looking for proof that it is worth the extra money compared to the Rotella T5 10w30 or any of the other options out there.

Welcome to the site!

Please take some time to review our glorious hoard of UOAs in the UOA sub-forum. While thinner grade oils are not the "norm" for most of our members, there are some good examples. There are also some BP UOAs as well.

I applaud your thoughtful approach. Synthetics and bypass filtration are excellent tools to extend the OCIs, and the real way to judge their success is to track the health of the lube and equipment via two other tools (UOAs and ROI).

Welcome,

I have been in the 6.0 "business" since early '04, two trucks, and not ever heard or seen one positive outcome of extending the OCI to on a 6.0. I personally stick to the 7,500 OCI in the owners manual using 10w-30 Plus 50.

The reason these trucks are "hard" on oil is the tight clearances in the spool valves in the injectors, and anyone who has attempted to extend an OCI have eventually had injector issues, meaning replacement.

My advise to you is to stick to your owners manual using a quality HDEO, and also spend some time in the HDEO UOA section reading what knowledge is archived in those pages.

I already pretty much read all the info on this forum with UOA's and any 6.0 OCI information I could find in the two sections for diesels. I was hoping since the 10w30 oils don't shear like the 40w oils that perhaps slightly longer OCI even with the 6.0 may be achievable, especially with the use of a quality friction modifier like Archoil's AR9100 (Better than Revx) which I'm currently running.

What physically is it about extended OCI oil that is hard on the spool valves and injectors in the 6.0 powerstrokes?

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Welcome,

I have been in the 6.0 "business" since early '04, two trucks, and not ever heard or seen one positive outcome of extending the OCI to on a 6.0. I personally stick to the 7,500 OCI in the owners manual using 10w-30 Plus 50.

The reason these trucks are "hard" on oil is the tight clearances in the spool valves in the injectors, and anyone who has attempted to extend an OCI have eventually had injector issues, meaning replacement. I thought the injectors weren't as hard on say the 10w30 and 5w30 oils and shearing isn't nearly as big of an issue in the UOA's

My advise to you is to stick to your owners manual using a quality HDEO, and also spend some time in the HDEO UOA section reading what knowledge is archived in those pages.

I thought your UOA's with the JDplus50 for your 6.0 were saying you could go to 10000 miles for OCI??

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Welcome to the site!

Please take some time to review our glorious hoard of UOAs in the UOA sub-forum. While thinner grade oils are not the "norm" for most of our members, there are some good examples. There are also some BP UOAs as well.

What's the BP stand for?

I applaud your thoughtful approach. Synthetics and bypass filtration are excellent tools to extend the OCIs, and the real way to judge their success is to track the health of the lube and equipment via two other tools (UOAs and ROI).

What does BP and ROI stand for?

Thanks

Welcome,

The reason these trucks are "hard" on oil is the tight clearances in the spool valves in the injectors, and anyone who has attempted to extend an OCI have eventually had injector issues, meaning replacement.

From reading on this forum you are one of the guys I hoped would chime in.

What would happen if one used straight 30 or 40 oil, assuming the miles were accumulated in a warmer climate where it was safe to use a monoviscosity oil?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: 03RaptorCV
Welcome,

The reason these trucks are "hard" on oil is the tight clearances in the spool valves in the injectors, and anyone who has attempted to extend an OCI have eventually had injector issues, meaning replacement. I thought the injectors weren't as hard on say the 10w30 and 5w30 oils and shearing isn't nearly as big of an issue in the UOA's

I thought your UOA's with the JDplus50 for your 6.0 were saying you could go to 10000 miles for OCI??

You are correct as far as my UOA results being good, and yes I probably can extend them out somewhat, BUT as I stated above anyone that I know of who has tried it eventually has had injector trouble.

Honestly from my standpoint I can't see anyone ever recovering thier investment of a bypass filtration setup on a 6.0. I have never heard of a 6.0 generating excessive oil related wear, except for the injector issues.
What I am trying to say is that you can run, for instance, 10w-30 out to the owners manual recommended 7,500mi. without issue why bother with the expensive synthetic lube or bypass filtration, because synthetic isn't going to gain you any oil life in these motors, or measurable decreased wear at 7,500 mi. OCI.

I will continue to to UOA at 7,500mi intervals, I caught an injector crush washer leak a few years ago with a UOA fuel levels trended up.
The diesel mechanic at my local Ford dealer has told me that, in this order, good oil/fuel filters/ diesel fuel additive will prevent most issues with the 6.0.

You are correct as far as my UOA results being good, and yes I probably can extend them out somewhat, BUT as I stated above anyone that I know of who has tried it eventually has had injector trouble.

Honestly from my standpoint I can't see anyone ever recovering thier investment of a bypass filtration setup on a 6.0. I have never heard of a 6.0 generating excessive oil related wear, except for the injector issues.
What I am trying to say is that you can run, for instance, 10w-30 out to the owners manual recommended 7,500mi. without issue why bother with the expensive synthetic lube or bypass filtration, because synthetic isn't going to gain you any oil life in these motors, or measurable decreased wear at 7,500 mi. OCI.

I will continue to to UOA at 7,500mi intervals, I caught an injector crush washer leak a few years ago with a UOA fuel levels trended up.
The diesel mechanic at my local Ford dealer has told me that, in this order, good oil/fuel filters/ diesel fuel additive will prevent most issues with the 6.0.

Do you have a bypass filter or not because I was just going to build my own for under $150.

Is that a waste of money in your opinion?

My oil filtration is stock, the stock racor filter can be had for around 14 dollars and it works very well. In this application I just don't see the advantage, I haven't seen an example of being able to extend the OC without damage to the injection system.

How many instances do you know of where individuals had injector issues with their 6.0's bcause they ran extended OCI's on 10w30 or 5w30 oil or are most of the instances that you are speaking of with different grades of oil?

How many instances do you know of where individuals had injector issues with their 6.0's bcause they ran extended OCI's on 10w30 or 5w30 oil or are most of the instances that you are speaking of with different grades of oil?

Quite honestly I don't know of any, most if not all were using 15w-40 or 5w-40. The guys running 5w-40 were most likely using 15w-40 and switched due to an issue already devolping.

The issue needs to be approached as an risk vs. rewards point of view. Injector issues exist, and if you can run 7,500 mi. with an OC cost of 50 dollars or so with minimal risk, what rewards can be achieved fiscally by attempting to extend OC's?

What does BP and ROI stand for?

It looks like no one answered you yet.
wink.gif

Anyhow, BP, I'm guessing in this context is British Petroleum, as in Castrol. They have a reasonable selection of HDEOs, with a whack of them available in Walmarts up here. I can't speak for your location, but here, they sell Castrol 15w-40 diesel engine oil dual rated, along with Elixion and Hypuron. They're fairly competitively priced. The odd thing is that they are hard to find at most places and rarely heard about, yet Walmart has all three lines.

As for ROI - return on investment.

BP is "bypass"; the OP asked about bypass filters in regard to the PSD and Amsoil ACD.

And ROI is "return on investment"; the fiscal concept of analyzing the output v. input.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the fuel additives-I recently started running a Power Service silver bottle/MMO blend in the troublesome '04 6.0 and it starts & runs better than it has in YEARS-and I've NEVER extended an OCI past 6K in the 260K it has on it now. I can actually HEAR the difference in the injector buzz on a cold start-smooth instead of rattling!

IMO, it doesn't make sense to do a by-pass on a 6.0 for OCI over the manual. A lot of 6.0 owners change their oil every 5k, because clean oil helps prevent injector failure. Shell Rotella T5 10w30 seems to be an outstanding oil for these motors.

There are a few running the Amsoil 10w30 ACD, it's a stout tough oil, but at 10.5cst it appears it may be a little too thin viscosity to use in a 6.0??. It's a very expensive oil, and has no VI improvers, so it may hold up well in a 6.0, but why bother when the Shell Rotella T5 is half the cost of Amsoil...

I would be curious to here from more people have have used the Amsoil ACD 10w30 in a 6.0 powerstroke with stellar results..

What aspect of the oil going bad/wearing effects the injectors so adversely in these HEUI injector systems? Is it a parameter that is trackable via UOA?

With clean oil via BP filter and goog UOA's why would it be bad to extend the OCI's on a 6.0? Is there something causing issues with the injectors that isn't accounted for in a normal UOA or is the 6.0 just making the oil unusable by say 8000 miles regardless of bypass setup and 30w viscosity? I just haven't heard of any good UOA's on a 6.0 past 8800 miles but then again I've never ran across someone that sent in a 10000 or 15000 UOA on these engines. Are people just not pushing their luck or has everyone that truly went past a 8000 mile OCI had major issues?

I'm running a really good friction modifier that should really help keep my injectors clean and running smoothly. It is Archoil AR9100 and I feel it should do the trick better than REV-X. Shouldn't this help overcome any issues with longer OCI's and injector health?

I realize it isn't really worth the risk, but it just seems logical. I guess I'm confused why longer OCI's can't be achieved in the 6.0 powerstroke. Is there something measurable going on with the oil? If the 10w30 oils aren't shearing and AR9100 is keeping things better lubricated and much cleaner along with a good bp setup then why can't longer OCI's be achieved safely?

Anybody have any other thoughts???

I realize people have had negative consequences running extended OCI's on the 6.0, but is that to say with the right oil, friction modifier, and oil bypass system that extended oci's can't be safely achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back