Longest life brake fluid for vehicle destined to get little maintenance.....

I was at Ollies the other day and they had 16 oz cans of Pentosen DOT4 LV for 99 cents a can. Picked up a few to have on hand. Nice to open up a fresh can if ever needed. I'll use DOT4 in DOT3 systems but not vice versa.

I was at Ollies the other day and they had 16 oz cans of Pentosen DOT4 LV for 99 cents a can. Picked up a few to have on hand. Nice to open up a fresh can if ever needed. I'll use DOT4 in DOT3 systems but not vice versa.
Dang, I got ripped off. I paid $1.99 at Ollie's last week for that same Pentosin fluid in an 8 oz can. :LOL:

I prefer ATE SL6/Bosch ESI/Castrol but Prestone Max works just fine in a Prius. I’m using the same stuff right now.

To be honest, a 2011 Prius will probably suffer from headgasket failure or HV battery pack failure (in that order) before the brake fluid becomes an issue. If you are nearing 150K, either or both of those items will probably bite you sooner or later.

The brake actuator issues, while it does happen, are not that common. You're more likely to have an issue with the pads seizing in the caliper brackets from rust.

Use Toyota, GM, or Honda DOT3

I don't use fluid that has been sitting around for years. Fresh locally sourced 'busy' dealership parts department are good starts. Fancy brands aren't needed.

Truthfully in a Prius I wouldn't even worry about the brake fluid, especially since it's still testing ok moisture-wise. As you noted these things are insanely easy on the brakes.

As others have said, battery pack or headgasket, or random oil consumption (I think this was the gen with that issue? May be wrong) is going to be what takes it out long before the brake fluid becomes an issue.

What I would do if not recently done is lube all the slides and make sure pads aren't stuck etc.

Last edited:
Back