Longest lasting wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss wax at walmart the other day to wax my wife's new Yukon XL. I am comparing the label to the Turtle Wax Super Hard shell car wax.

The Super Hard Shell wax claims that it outshine, outlast and outperform any car wax - or money back.

If this is true then why would I want to pay more for the Ultra Gloss Wax ?

My number one reason to wax is to preserve and protect the finish. Sounds like Super Hard Shell wax is the best for this.

Will the Super Hard Shell wax really last the longest ?

Is there any other wax that would protect and preserve the finish even longer ?

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:
Synthetic polymer protectants such as Zaino,Liquid Glass,Klasse etc will last far longer than any carnauba.

I agree with this. Personally, I really like Zaino products- I have been very satisfied with their performance. I have not used LG or Klasse but I have heard good things about Klasse.

Steve

Synthetic polymer protectants such as Zaino,Liquid Glass,Klasse etc will last far longer than any carnauba.

Yes Zaino is the best I have used, but even then it only lasts about 4 months in the Harsh Ohio climates. The bad thing with zaino is you have to use their car wash as most others (definately hydrosprays/drive thrus) will remove the zaino.

Harold,

If you wish to try something more durable than "conventional" waxes, but not go to the expense and mail order hassle of Zaino and Klasse, several over the counter polymers exist:

Liquid Gold, Mequirs #20, Dura Gloss, and Mequirs NXT are all similar. I believe Bretfatz (occassional poster here) said Liquid Gold MIGHT be SLIGHTLY better. NXT is relatively new and is getting mixed reviews last I checked. They contain very mild cleaners and technically cannot be layered.

I was very happy with Liquid Glass. My OCD drove me to Zaino and it is even better (still beading since October and Michigan winter).

Be warned: Zaino users might be more cracked than German Castrol users.

For good car wax forums go to autopia.org (best) or Edmunds.

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
The bad thing with zaino is you have to use their car wash as most others (definately hydrosprays/drive thrus) will remove the zaino.

This has not been my experience, even with frequent use of the drive through carwashes.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Everyone talks about how complicated Zaino is to apply and how it takes too many steps and THAT I just don't understand...Rub it on, let dry, buff it off. One ounce is enough to do a Suburban, TWICE! The film to buff off is so thin that it is sooo easy. I don't know how it could be any easier than that.

I know:
offtopic.gif
Sorry, just a satisfied user...

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by Larry the Cable Guy:

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Everyone talks about how complicated Zaino is to apply and how it takes too many steps and THAT I just don't understand...Rub it on, let dry, buff it off. One ounce is enough to do a Suburban, TWICE! The film to buff off is so thin that it is sooo easy. I don't know how it could be any easier than that.

I know:
offtopic.gif
Sorry, just a satisfied user...

Steve

I agree!
Another satisfied Zaino user for the last 6 years.

Two coats of liquid glass caressing the clear coat for the past two weeks.

So far, elated with the results.

My liver quivers with unadulterated delight when I espy the shine.

After the rain, the crud on the road was spewed on and about the conveyance, easily spotted close-up due to the Summit white paint GM code U50.

Grabbed the water delivery device and rotated the handle so as to allow maximum water delivery velocity. A surprising amount of the crud was removed with the spray eminating from the multiple-opening nozzle used to prvent excess force impacting the truck's outter steel and plastic envelope.

Other waxes and sealants did not allow as much detritud removal via the application of a water stream alone.

As time marches along its relentless route I will ascertain the longevity of the Liquid Glass sealant.

At this point, I am extremely pleased with the product.

quote:

Originally posted by HammerDown:

quote:

Originally posted by loudist:
Who was that, Howard Cosell?

Don't know...but he sure had a chubby over that Liquid Glass crap...personally I didn't find it to be all that great.

Liquid Glass was a great protectant in the 80's.
Today,there are much better polymer protectants than Liquid Glass.
Zaino,Klasse etc.

How does Zymol rate. That is what I've been using lately. My only concern is washing the truck with Mr. Clean Auto Wash. It does not seem to bead as well anymore.

Count me as another Liquid Glass devotee. I don't have a garage so my cars are exposed 24/7 and at home are parked beneath a maple tree. Being such, my cars are a great test bed for car care products. I've tried them all.

Whenever I hear of a new product that I want to test, I do a complete cleaning of half of either the roof, hood, or trunk, then apply the new product to one half and LG to the other half. So far, LG has won every test, not only in terms of beading but also in ease of cleaning.

Late last year, I though NXT was the product of choice and I actually started using it exclusively. Then I took a trip and came back with a car coated with bugs. I had a devil of a time getting those bugs off. Previously, it wasn't a problem removing them when LG was my on my car. NXT did fine for winter driving but the spring time bugs showed it had a downside.

I also like Klasse and Zaino. They shine well and seem to protect as long as LG. However, the Maple sap doesn't seem come off either of them as easily as it does LG. Plus, I can get LG at several local stores, whereas I have to order Klasse and Zaino.

It's a month and a week since I reported on the bountiful wonders of the epitomy of vehicle paint protective concoctions known as Liquid Glass.

I have to alter the report to include a heart-warming satisfaction that accompanies the liver-quivering delight at the performance of the product.

The shine is as good as when first applied and the gunk, goop, crud, detritus and sundry debris from both biological and human sources is quickly and easily removed when wash time rolls around.

I have layered three coats of Liquid Glass to maximize protection. The long bed Chevy pick-em-up truck has a lot of surface area to be covered but the Liquid Glass goes a long way...... still half a can left after 3 complete coverages of every exposed and some not-so-exposed painted surfaces.

By golly gosh almighty, I like the stuff. Like it so much I may buy the company.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
The long bed Chevy pick-em-up truck has a lot of surface area to be covered but the Liquid Glass goes a long way.

Everytime I do my Corvette I'm thankful for two things. It's not a big pickup of van with the same surface area as an aircraft carrier and it's a convertible with no top to do.
grin.gif

Zymol works great but doesn't hold up for a long time. Expect about a good month...that's it. Uh, smells good enough to eat though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back