Longest lasting OEM Automatic transmissions?

What make and models make the most durable and longest lasting transmissions in the SUV segment behind V8 and high output V6 engines?
I'm thinking Toyota and maybe Nissan? I've seen many Toyota Sequoias with 300k+ with no maintenance and a few Armadas.

What make and models make the most durable and longest lasting transmissions in the SUV segment behind V8 and high output V6 engines?
I'm thinking Toyota and maybe Nissan? I've seen many Toyota Sequoias with 300k+ with no maintenance and a few Armadas.

Member Clinebarger is the man to ask. Some of the old transmissions were very long lasting but you wont find one in a newer vehicle. C6, TH400, Torqueflite 727 come to mind.

I had an Aisin in my 2013 Equinox. It was the only thing that gave me an issue. Pump seal failed. 4l80E was a good unit. Current 6L90E is pretty good.

Toyota. In the past I never had an American car auto trans last over 50K. That is why all my stuff is manual.
What are doing to them? I got 190 000 out of two different 4T65E HDs. 149,000 out of the 700R4 in my 1991 Corvette. 160,000 out of the 4L60E in my 94 z28.

The 4R100 Ford put behind the 5.4L in the Expedition was extremely stout, as was the 5R110 behind the diesel in the Super Duty. Not up on their most recent stuff. The ZF 8spd is excellent and generally receives a great deal of praise for its operation, quite unlike Toyota's 8spd, unless they've finally got it sorted?

Just based on my own experience, and those of friends and former colleagues still in the repair biz. I'd say The Aisin transmissions in Toyota rear or 4wd trucks.

I know of a 3rd gen 4Runner that last I heard was at 800k on it's all original drivetrain (A340 trans).

The first million-mile Tundra had it's original drivetrain (A750 trans).

On the other hand, I made a good living at one time rebuilding Ford transmissions.

The Aisin A750 & A760 used in the Tundra/Sequoia are stout!
The Jatco RE5R05A 5 speed used in the Titan/Armada are very good unit & the only ones I've rebuilt are because coolant contamination.
ZF 8HP used by Chrysler are good & one of the best shifting units out there.
Ford 6R80 which is a ZF 6HP....Very good, I've built a few.....But it's either from running them low on fluid or putting to much power through them.

The GM 6L80E IS a well engineered unit, BUT....The Torque Converter is a weak point that can be mitigated with some custom tuning & bulletproofed with a custom converter along with tuning. AFM has to be turned off as part of the tuning process.

Last edited:
TH400
81A9sOh6CyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

All of my vehicles still have the original transmission the two oldest are manual so I will go to the rest. My 1994 Ford Econoline 5.8 V8 has the original automatic transmission never been rebuilt or anything just fluid changes. It did start slipping at one point and talked to a guy in a reputable transmission shop and he told us get some LubeGard Shudder Shock and put in and it would fix the issue guaranteed, me and my dad were kinda skeptical but we done it and it worked and to this day hasn’t had another issue. The other vehicles with regular maintenance on the transmission have never had any issues at all.

Back