Longer version of the FL820S / PH2

A few have asked in the past if there is a larger version of the FL820S PH2/TG2/XG2 - so this thread is for them.

The 351W/5.8L in my 1997 Ford F350 Dually has an external water/oil cooler, so it uses the 22mm thread filters.
Because it is a heavy duty application, I go for the extra capacity and volume. These are about 3/4" - 1" longer.

Note: **NOT all** of these cross-ref are longer! https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/LUBERFINER/PH26
(most of them are actually the short FL820/PH2 size)

Attachments

• PH26.oil filter.jpg
    PH26.oil filter.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 91
  • PH26.oil.filter.jpg
    PH26.oil.filter.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 51372.jpg
    51372.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 93
What do you plan to gain with a filter 3/4-1 inch longer? An extra sippie cup or two capacity? A tiny bit more capacity? I honestly don't see the benefit of using that slightly larger filter. If you have a "slightly leaky" ADBV, it will take slightly longer for the filter to fill and result in a short start up rattle.On my application (4.6) the filter would be rubbing on power steering hoses.

^ Then we should all use shorter than stock filters? It's the same difference, well sort of since TOO small could restrict flow TOO much but it's still kinda the same thing. I use a doubly long filter on my riding mower, that costs half as much as the B&S spec'd for it. Can't have hurt much, still runs like a top at 20-something years old.

A longer filter generally gives you more filter media.
That equals greater flow and/or better filtering (slower oil
flow allows more 'stuff' to be trapped in the media.

My 2¢

A longer filter generally gives you more filter media.
That equals greater flow and/or better filtering (slower oil
flow allows more 'stuff' to be trapped in the media.

My 2¢

Larger doesn't mean greater flow with a PD oil pump unless you're at redline with cold thick oil and the pump hits pressure relief.

Yes, it does slow down the velocity and lower the delta-p across the media which could help trap and hold particles a little better.

^ Then we should all use shorter than stock filters? It's the same difference, well sort of since TOO small could restrict flow TOO much but it's still kinda the same thing. I use a doubly long filter on my riding mower, that costs half as much as the B&S spec'd for it. Can't have hurt much, still runs like a top at 20-something years old.
Not talkin about shorter, just use what is spec'd, don't lose sleep over it and move on. If you need that much more filtering capacity, you either have a crutty engine with issues or you are running your oil too long. Pure and simple.

Lubener - why are you being so cynical? Is this the first time in your life you’ve ever heard of anybody running a longer than normal oil filter? Have you been living under a rock this whole time? Is this your first time visiting “Bob is the oil guy”?

Lubener - why are you being so cynical? Is this the first time in your life you’ve ever heard of anybody running a longer than normal oil filter? Have you been living under a rock this whole time? Is this your first time visiting “Bob is the oil guy”?
No, I just don't try to reinvent the wheel. You must believe that automotive engineers design these short filters to shorten the life of the engine and keep you up at night. Well they succeeded with part of that. Wouldn't you think the automotive engineers would put a longer filter on an engine from the get go if it were really needed? I see these posts all the time and you seem to post another one because you live under a rock and have nobody to talk to. I honestly cannot see the benefit to running a one inch longer larger filter on a car if you change the filter when you are supposed to.

^ Don't think for a second that engineers are designing engines to last as long as possible.

They are designing to last longer than the warranty, and long enough that the company doesn't get a bad reputation. Anything beyond that which takes up more weight, space, or costs more, is a reason they will downsize.

You wrote wouldn't they do it if "really needed" but that's a murky area. It's not a binary yes or no but rather degrees of improvement as the size gets larger or smaller.

How is it reinventing the wheel? It's not like we're making our own filters, just picking one ready made and then no more of an effort to buy and install than the original.

If you need that much more filtering capacity, you either have a crutty engine with issues or you are running your oil too long.

OR, the flip side of that is it could be a great engine that can run oil at long intervals and benefits from more filtering capacity. :)

It's not like we're talking about putting in an array of series filters here, just a very simple thing to do that requires no extra time or effort, at least not any more time to find a cross reference larger filter than it took for you to write a couple posts on BITOG about it.

Last edited:
Then Explain to me why the FL-299 exists

It is a FL-1A - but much longer.
It’s spec’d for heavy duty Ford trucks.
GM did the same thing.

Why would the factory suggest running a longer/larger oil filter in heavy duty applications, but according to you… A short oil filter will “be just fine“?

Also… The oil filter I posted above is for my F350 (1-ton) Dually. It is **most definitely** a heavy duty application, because I work this truck extremely hard. You didn’t bother to take that into account… I’m not talking about a passenger car oil filter application, here.

Yes, they did spec the FL299 for the F600-700-800 trucks with the 370 and 429. Different engine in different applications than the FL1A was used in.

The fact that they were bigger does not necessarily correspond to being "better" or more heavy duty. (Other discussions get into Micron ratings). What was the recommended service interval on filters in this application? Is it the same as say the 460 in the lighter duty trucks?

I used to be on the boat of bigger filter = better filter, but nothing shows that is the case. I don't see any real disadvantage either for the most part.
On my F150 that specs the FL820s I have noticed that the aftermarket filters vary in both length and diameter, nothing major, but it is something noticeable.
I am actually planning on going to a smaller filter on it (a XG10575, touch taller but much smaller diameter) because the PH2 sized filter is a pain to get in and out on the 5.4, and plan on leaving it in for a few years.

Back