[Long w/TL;DR] Cub Cadet 7205 - Oil Filter Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so my dad and I have an old Cub Cadet 7205 tractor with the 21hp Mitsubishi diesel engine (and it's got the hydro-static system or whatever it's called, but that's irrelevant lol). We've had it for a long time, and use it out to our 7 acre property out of town for both work and mowing. It's run pretty well and we've only had a few problems with it over the years, but currently she's running fine (knock on wood).

I've always been good about getting on him to let me change the oil every season (ergo, once per year around this time). I always wait to buy oil for it at O'Reilly's (my personal favorite parts store) when it's on sale. I saw recently in their current ad that Delo 400LE 15w-40 was on sale for $13.99 a gallon, and stopped by to pick some up, as well as the usual Wix 51334 filter I've always used for the tractor - I know Wix makes great filters, and I'm sure y'all know as well, too, since there's been a lot of good evidence for them here on the forums...

Well, as it would just so happen, I guess everyone and their dog had already seen the ad and came in and bought up all the Delo 400LE 15w-40. Now, of course I could have gotten any of the other 15w-40's, as I know all the name brands are certified; heck, even the O'Reilly store brand probably is, too. (Plus, I've used Rotella before in my motorcycle [2002 Yamaha V-Star 650] and my quad [2005 Yamaha Raptor 350] since it's JASO MA [wet-clutch/sump] certified). But, rather than settle for another conventional HDEO of another brand (such as Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, or Castrol GTXD) since I had come in for Chevron Delo in the first place... I opted to get the Delo 400LE 5w-40 synthetic HDEO. Coincidentally, it was on sale as well, for $21.99 a gallon. Then I walked over to get the Wix 51334, but realized they must have just recently stocked the shelves with XP's, as they hadn't done so before at that location. So, on a whim, I bought the 51334XP. I just changed the oil in the tractor earlier today, and thought to look up the info on the difference between the regular Wix filters and the XP's when I got home.

Info Comparison:

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..

- - -

TL;DR

- - -

I installed a Wix 51334XP onto the tractor rather than the standard 51334. The standard filter has a micron rating of 21, whereas the XP has a micron rating of 35. All the other specs are the same besides this difference in micron rating...

Was it okay to use the Wix 51334XP (with Delo 400LE 5w-40) instead of the Wix 51334 (with Delo 400LE 15w-40)?

~Triton

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes it's okay, the XP filters enough to keep it alive.

I feel like "keeping it alive" is different from "good enough."

confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back