Long vs. Short Trips during OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday my wife is starting a new job that will increase her daily commute to about 28 miles. According to Yahoo the trip will take her about 40 minutes which calculates to an average speed of about 42 mph. About a third of the trip is technically in town, but we don't live in a "big" city so it's likely that she won't have to stop more than 3 or 4 times during the trip.

My question is if this trip is long enough for the 2004 Sequoia to be at operating temperature long enough to benefit the oil compared to continual "short" trips.

Also, any thoughts on the subject in general are welcomed.

Quote:
My question is if this trip is long enough for the 2004 Sequoia to be at operating temperature long enough to benefit the oil compared to continual "short" trips.

where's the question?

Oh yes, that oil will be nice and warm for a good amount of time. Might be able to extend the OCI more. I see you use Dyson. He knows whats up and will be able to help you on that end to find the right one.

Last edited by a moderator:
yup. that certainly qualifies as a long trip. the "short trip" thing is generally 5 miles or less, especially in winter.

daily drive of 28 miles each way is long trips, even 28 miles round trips is considered long trips. You can use normal OCI schedule with dino oils, and extend OCI by about 50% with syn oils.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I see you use Dyson. He knows whats up and will be able to help you on that end to find the right one.

I used Terry once for my Mazdaspeed 3, but could never convince myself that I'd really benefit from further analysis since I was using the same oil as others that were getting reasonable UAO results. My interest in UOAs was high for a while and then I realized that, at least for me, the majority of information learned in a UOA would likely never make a tangible difference for me. Terry was very helpful and it was worth the experience. Both of my current rigs are easy on oil so I can't justify the expense of "playing" with oil to that extent, but I do recommend him for his knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back