Long time members - Posting slowly dropping off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Its sad to say that some long time members are slowly no longer posting.

Have not seen any posts by Sprintman, Johnny, Bruce381, Pscholte etc for some time.

Pity. Hope that they are all well.

Perhaps the moderators could send a global email to see how they and other oldies are faring.

Last edited:
How about John Browning? I miss reading about GM intake manifold gaskets in each of his posts.

Seriously, though, this happens on all internet forums. Go back to any old thread (several years old) and you'll see a lot of once-familiar names. Where they go (and why), no one knows.

I was looking at the user list yesterday and noticed that quite a few members have not logged in for quite a while.
We have 39301 members but how many are actually active?
Have lubricants reached such a high level of quality that people have a ho-hum attitude about the whole subject?

Are free coupons and special rebates the way to go?
How about expanding our lubrication university or becoming a gateway or portal for news about exciting new products and services.

Just how many times can you answer the same question before you get bored out of your mind? I agree with css9450 - it's just a natural course of events on all internet forums. People move on to do other things eventually. BITOG is now almost 10 years old. That's an eternity when it comes to the Internet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just how many times can you answer the same question before you get bored out of your mind?

+1

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just how many times can you answer the same question before you get bored out of your mind?

+1

It's not all about the same question as far as a lot of people being on this site. There are good people here and diverse range of topics spanning all sub forums. I always find it funny when you really think about it because its true. Everyone is pretty much "just buy what's on sale" fine, it's settled. But there's more to it for a lot of people and new UOA's are always neat to see too
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: spock1
We have 39301 members but how many are actually active?
Have lubricants reached such a high level of quality that people have a ho-hum attitude about the whole subject?

There are probably a few hundred at most that could be considered active. Many of the 39,000 + that the site claims created an account, used it a few times, and then never returned. Some older members have have either moved on or passed on. Part of the problem is that since many of the folks who really knew what they were talking about have left, the forum is populated by Internet experts who really don't have the knowledge or background. Much of the information in the oil sections has become mediocre at best, posted by people with no real background or credentials.

Originally Posted By: spock1
Are free coupons and special rebates the way to go?
How about expanding our lubrication university or becoming a gateway or portal for news about exciting new products and services.

It's just a discussion forum-don't try to make it more than it is or should be. The fact is that the vast majority of people simply don't have an interest in oil or lubrication.

The longer you are a member, the higher your chances of being banned. So some old timers may have left for that reason. Another reason is fatigue - how many times can you answer the same thing until you get bored?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Some older members have have either moved on or passed on. Part of the problem is that since many of the folks who really knew what they were talking about have left, the forum is populated by Internet experts who really don't have the knowledge or background. Much of the information in the oil sections has become mediocre at best, posted by people with no real background or credentials.

This. For me, the problem is that what once was a very enthusiast-oriented site has become well-enough known that the general internet population is drifting over, with the attendant degradation in post quality.

I'm sure the demographics are changing too, changing from a predominantly older one to having more teens and early twenties. So instead of having rigorous discussions of about automotive technical issues we are having more posts about "What did you (eat, wear, listen to, get mad about, etc, etc, etc.) today? After being on here since shortly after the inception, it is hard to watch the decline.

On the other hand, there is a bit more of a community feel than there used to be, and some of the non-automotive discussions are richer than they used to be.

Life is change - much of it is out of our control, we adapt as we must. Some don't like the changes and move on, some haven't been here long enough to know the difference, some (like me) are on the fence.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Another reason is fatigue - how many times can you answer the same thing until you get bored?

On some forums, cynicism creeps in and long-time members keep quiet when newbies ask the same old questions over and over again, because all too often there is some other new guy who will provide an answer, even if that answer is wrong. Eventually the wrong answer starts turning up in Search and the credibility of the entire forum becomes suspect.

This funny, I was thinking of posting something about this last Wednesday. Synthetic PCMO'S all the way because it protects better for every situation and application.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Another reason is fatigue - how many times can you answer the same thing until you get bored?

On some forums, cynicism creeps in and long-time members keep quiet when newbies ask the same old questions over and over again, because all too often there is some other new guy who will provide an answer, even if that answer is wrong. Eventually the wrong answer starts turning up in Search and the credibility of the entire forum becomes suspect.

You mean like how UOA's are oft attempted to be used on here?
wink.gif

Your example is very relevant
thumbsup2.gif

I think a lot of it has to do with people joining to find what they are looking for and then they're gone. I come back and browse every once and a while, but to some extent I fit my theory. I've come back and asked new question due to the changing oil market. Mobil change their products or eliminated the ones I'd used so I had to reasearch the next choice.
I spend most of my time in the off topic section now, but occasionally browse other sections.

The longer you are a member, the higher your chances of being banned. So some old timers may have left for that reason. Another reason is fatigue - how many times can you answer the same thing until you get bored?

Work policies change too, sometimes management decrees that you can no longer get on the Internet at work. Or implement a filter that logs all access. Or alternately, if you work in the luibricant industry, they may ban your participation in sites like BITOG.

Regardless of the amount of lubrication experts, there is a wealth of professionals and experienced people covering a large swath of things I'm interested in, and other things I'm not.

This place can be a daily gathering place for some (myself) or a causal drive-by read for others.

Plenty of money has been saved by the info on this site.

Last edited:
I left for a whole (got busy with other things). I have gotten a lot of information on this board for applications other than Lubrication. There are a lot of savy people on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back