Long term storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 Trans Am that is going to be put in storage for over a year. It will be stored in an unheated unattached garage on floor jack stands to take the pressure off the springs. I've run Mobil 1 5W-30 in it since new. I do have a family member that can start it up and let it run. How often should it be run and how long should these runs last to prevent the internal parts of the engine, trans, diff. and fluid pumps from rusting, gumming up, seals going bad, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

If you decided to keep fuel inside the tank, fill it right up to the brim and add fuel stabiliser (like GoldenEagle's Sta-bil, etc.)

change the oil and run it hot. Pull the spark plugs and spray each cylinder with some storage fogging oil or LC60. Hand-crank each cylinder to rotate a few rotations to coat all the cylinder walls with oil.

jack up the car so that the tires are off grounds, but not to unload the springs.

keep a trickle charger running on the battery.

get a wad of cloth and plug the exhaust outlet side. If possible, try wrapping the air inlet side with plastic bag and then tie it with rubber bands or tape.

I personally would not start/idle the car during storage, and when it's time to take it out, I would hand-crank the engine a few times to coat the cylinder wall with oil left behind in each cylinder, check the battery, prime the fuel and oil pump, and then take a deep breath and fire up the engine.

You actually want a float charger or battery maintainer rather than a trickle charger. The cheap trickle chargers charge at 2 AMPs forever, as opposed to a float charger that brings the battery to fully charge and then keeps it there, adding charge as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back