Long term storage OCI.

I'm debating about changing the oil in my car before storing it for ~1 yr. It's coming up, but if I do it before storing it, will I need to change the practically unused oil right after bringing it out again next year? Any type of additive out there that'll keep the oil from getting moisture buildup? Anything that'll give it more clinging power to the internals? Thinking of just keeping the old oil and changing it right afterwards.

How will you store it? in a garage? Or out in the open? If inside, with less temperature swings, i'd use an extended drain oil and just run it when you take it out of storage. If out in the open, exposed to more moisture and temp swings, use an inexpensive oil, and dump it again in a year.

Last edited:
I always change mine before storage then run it 3000 miles when I get it out. I’ve read used motor oil can have things in it from the whole combustion process that can cause a bit of corrosion. I think new oil sitting in a engine for a year is just as good as it sitting on the shelf for a year.

How will you store it? in a garage? Or out in the open? If inside, with less temperature swings, i'd use and extended drain oil and just run it when you take it out of storage. If out in the open, exposed to more moisture and temp swings, use an inexpensive oil, and dump it again in a year.
It'll be outside on my mechanics lot.

If the oil change is coming up anyway I would change it before storage. That way everything is washed down in a nice fresh oil. Then if the oil level looks good when you go to pick it up just run a bit shorter OCI.

No need to change it if it’s going to be stored. Just change it when you get it back. 🙂. Just keep it sealed up and don’t open the cap or anything.

The oil will not get moisture buildup while sitting in storage in the vehicle. It's necessarily a closed system unless your pollution control is broken.

Drain oil, put new in, store it, then continue on with your regular OCI in miles and time once driving it again. Time in storage doesn't count for oil like it does gas, if it is clean oil not driven on yet.

When you bring it out of storage to run again, floor the gas pedal to keep it cranking and producing oil pressure before it fires, or if a unique vehicle where flooring it while starting does not shut off injectors, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank for 10 seconds, then put fuse back in and start it up.

Back