Long Term Project...I Need to Learn to Pass on These :-)

As soon as I saw this, I thought it was cool. I really need to stay away from these basket cases....but it just said 'save me'.

Friend gave this to me; an early 70's (we think) Montgomery Ward 450SS by Benelli, appears to be a scrambler. It is a 50cc (maybe 65cc) with a proper 4 speed transmission, neat vented front brake. Apparently, these were imported, branded and sold by the department store here, but sole as Benelli's elsewhere.

It is complete, lots of parts and spares in boxes, but complete. It will be fun for riding around the lake house and local trails.

Time to do some research, remember my 2 stroke skills and learn some Italian. Anyone here know anything about these or similar??

mwb_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Love the ring-a-ding-ding sound of a two-stroke engine. If you have most of the parts that is a doable project. My first motorcyle was a 250 Suzuki X6. Very rapid for only being a 250cc, Oil injection. Had an advanced six speed gearbox too.

1639870496503.jpg

Notice you also have a 2002. Probably the purest sport sedan ever made. I had two. Bought one new and grabbed another one several years later. Mine had the round tail lights. First was the carbureted model, the second was the Tii model with the Kugelfischer mechanical injection system.

Both looked exactly like this one;

1639870620229.jpg

A long time ago someone I worked with who was into restoring old Fords told me that "one thing he learned over the years is if you are going to put the time into restoring something is, be sure from the start that what you chose is going to be worth it when you finally get done restoring it."

----------------------------------- Yes, then go for it.
So, will it be worth it to you? ----------------------------------- No, then pass, and look for something worthwhile.

With the hills around Pittsburgh, a 50 to 65 CC anything is something for a kid or extremely light weight adult (think petite woman, or a little person).

In some states 50 cc road worthy motorcycles and scooters do not require proof of insurance. That can be a real money saver.

try to trade for a Trail 90 (CT-90)
the low pipe & open carb seem like this is supposed to be a street machine.

A long time ago someone I worked with who was into restoring old Fords told me that "one thing he learned over the years is if you are going to put the time into restoring something is, be sure from the start that what you chose is going to be worth it when you finally get done restoring it."

----------------------------------- Yes, then go for it.
So, will it be worth it to you? ----------------------------------- No, then pass, and look for something worthwhile.
+1

And by "worth it", it needs to be something intrinsically valuable to the person doing the work.
Otherwise, it's just something to keep you busy.

Back