Long term disability insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have long term disability insurance does that include short term disability? Meaning once all your pay leave is up, short term kicks in. Once that's up, long term kicks in.

Thanks

I would guess it depends on the specific policy.

We have both short and long term disability offered from the company. Short term starts whenever you want it and goes up to something like 2 or 3 months - if it's any longer, then the long term disability would kick in.

However, since the short term (I am assuming long term is the same) is only like 60% of the paycheck, a lot of people will bank that up over a few years and use that in case of an emergency, etc.

Mine doesn't.

I'd self-insure for STD, lots of people will use it for an elective surgery etc and this has to skew the rates upward.

my job provides short term disability up to the six months as a benefit. I pay for long term disability. They are definitely two different coverages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
If you have long term disability insurance does that include short term disability? Meaning once all your pay leave is up, short term kicks in. Once that's up, long term kicks in.

Thanks

My wife maintains both short and long term disability insurance. They are separate products.

They may disappoint you with their payouts, though...

The only appropriate answer is "read your paperwork" / have an attorney read your paperwork. My company covers STD/LTD, and reasonably generously (good bennies). YMMV. Little beats a well-stocked savings account for short-term liquidity while you sort it out though.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

My wife maintains both short and long term disability insurance. They are separate products.

It's better than nothing. I've read anywhere from 50-70% of your pay. I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery. I still got two more months to go before going back to work. I've almost used up my vacation and sick time. I wish I had at least short term in this case.

Thanks

Ours is 60%. I can survive on 60% of my income. Though, I much prefer working for 100%.

when I was in the hospital for 25 days, I was on Short term disability. as soon as I got discharged home, the short term disability insurance cut me off and said I was ready to go back to work since I was out of the hospital. My doctor had to submit records saying I wasn't ready for another 2 weeks. I refused two week inpatient rehab and went home instead. what can I say? I was tired of being poked with needles two-three times per day. Insurance is a business so they will try to not pay out as much as possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Thanks

Ours is 60%. I can survive on 60% of my income. Though, I much prefer working for 100%.

Recently had to use ours, my poor woman had to endure two surgeries and a many month rehab period. It takes a LONG time for them to get the money flowing, and you are correct about we prefer 100%!!!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Hopefully your wife is feeling better.

You never know when you will be needing LTD.

Thanks for the expression of kindness and concern. She is much better and back at work full time.

Thank goodness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back