Long Life 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some Long Life 15W40 to use in the wife's Outback this summer. Have been using the Pennzoil HM 10W30 the last few changes. Have been reading a lot of infor on the Long Life here and how the Diesel Oils keep the engines cleaner. The car is a 2.5L and has about 116K on the clock. The manual specs up to a 10w40 in summer. I think the 15W40 will work well in this application.

Any Opinions?

"The manual specs up to a 10w40 in summer."

Then a 15W40 should be fine for the summer. Gonna do any UOAs? I'd do one on the second interval with this oil. First interval is probably gonna do some cleaning and will skew the results.

If you contact an honest-to-goodness Pennzoil distributor, he may be able to get you Pennzoil 10W30 Long Life for winter. I like their 'High Mileage Vehicle' oil ... but it's awfully thick and I'd seek alternatives for cooler weather.

--- Bror Jace

I'll try that idea for the winter. Although the car has a block heater and is plugged in ovenight whenever it gets below 32. We have short spells that can dip into the teens or single digits. So I'm not as worried about the 10W30 HM. I used to use 20W50 in my BMW year round back in the 80's. Way before I knew an better. Just what BMW reccomended and put in at the dealer (Carstrol).

John

Should work just fine!

A couple days per winter in the 'teens does not, at least to me, indicate the kind of extremely cold conditions that would unduly stress an engine using 15W-40 oil.

A month below zero every night is another thing!

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 96Outback:
Picked up some Long Life 15W40 to use in the wife's Outback this summer. Have been using the Pennzoil HM 10W30 the last few changes. Have been reading a lot of infor on the Long Life here and how the Diesel Oils keep the engines cleaner. The car is a 2.5L and has about 116K on the clock. The manual specs up to a 10w40 in summer. I think the 15W40 will work well in this application.

Any Opinions?

Where in Kentucky are you located?

I use HDEO 15w-40's year-round with no problems.

quote:

Originally posted by 96Outback:
Jelly,

We're in Louisville. How about you?

John

Well, right now, at 2:09, I'm at UofL!

After work, I'm gonna head back home (Danville), and then Sunday night, I'll be back here in Louisville!

PM me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back