Long Lead Time on Return Filter. Change Hydro Oil and Primary Filter Now, and Return Filter Later?

Hey guys, I have a Bil Jax/Haulotte 45XA that I bought used a couple years back. I've only used it for a couple hours here and there until recently. Now it's getting put to good use with home renovations and new barn construction. I figured it was time to get on the maintenance and change all fluids and filters, grease 'er up etc.

So I ordered a replacement return filter and the lead time was 16 weeks. I decided to order a second one from a different source to see if it got here earlier, but they said 16-17 weeks. I have the hydraulic oil and primary spin-on filter. Should I just change the oil and filter now, and then change the return filter when it gets here? Or will I end up knocking a bunch of crap off the old filter when I take it out and put it back in changing the oil? I'm using Amsoil AW32 as the machine calls for a fluid with a VI of at least 190, and I had difficulty finding one that met those specs. So I figured I'd spring for the good stuff. NAPA 1551 for primary filter and HYDAC 0090R010ECO/N for the return filter.

Thanks!

I didn't know that filter elements were so hard to get. Ive been out of the sales side for almost 20 years, but my employer represented Hycon; they are indeed good. Perhaps another in the size is easier to get; look at their elements data page, https://www.hydac-na.com/wp-content/uploads/Element_Overview.pdf, for info.

Breaking the P/N down, 0090 is the size and cannot be substituted. R indicates return, and with the bypass in the element, is kinda absolute also. The 010 is "10 micron absolute". Finer (005 are common also, 003 less so) and would be superior substitutes; they may clog sooner collecting more contamination.

The ECO is relatively new construction (all plastic, burnable after compressing the oil out). I'd ask your supplier (Cross Fluid Power, Motion Industries, and L&H Technologies are franchised in your geography, I think) what is available given only the "0090R005 or 0090R010" portions and be happy with whatever.

I'll note that there are reputable "will fit" competitors for Hydac; I PREFER to use one with whom I trust and have experience; in general, if they have their own recognized brand (Parker, Eaton, Pall, and Donaldson for example), I'd trust their product. I __PERSONALLY__ avoid the folks who try to replace everybody like FilterSource and FiltersForIndustry.

Good luck!

Back