Long-handled trimmers with strong cutting action

I am looking for a manual branch clipper/trimmer that looks and acts like this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/GARDENA-31-in-Pruning-Lopper-EnergyCut-750-B-12007-81-000-00/330983215) but with a longer handle, I suppose 36 inches would be an absolute minimum for the handle length. I currently have a set with 23-inch long handle (plus several more inches for the blade), it has served me well (helped me take out a hedge of junipers) but I really need at least another foot reach for some oleanders I want to trim.

One way, that I'd prefer not to take, would be to just trim the thinner branches at the outside edge of these oleanders, and then gradually get closer to the thicker branches in the interior. At that point, I could use what I already have. Problem is, these oleanders are all in full bloom and I'm already going to be trimming so much off the top, that I really want to leave all the foliage around the exterior if I can--and just reach the thick branches in the interior. And so I need something that can clip an oleander branch that is 2-3 inches in diameter. I would strongly prefer manual, I just don't use these often enough IMO to justify paying extra for battery powered stuff.

I did a search for home depot, lowes, and tractor supply but didn't see what I'm looking for. They offer long handled saws (I've never used them but suppose that might work), but not the clippers that I'm looking for. Does anyone make them?

I know its not in the scope of what you are asking, but the Dewalt pole saw is 15 feet, and makes life and tasks like this simple.

Not going to argue with that, but this is right by our driveway. Its becoming a safety issue b/c it is harming visibility coming out of our driveway.

I have a set of those too. They're pretty good.

Our gardener discourages pruning any bush in full bloom. You generally prune after blooming is finished (and there may be a better time, depending on the bush).

Interesting. A fair amount of reviewers on the lowes site, and even on the fiskars home page, are saying that it will fall apart after a few uses. I guess that was Monday at the plant where they were made? Others seem to like them.

Well, for 35 bucks, if I can finish this job, it would be worth it. Anything more is gravy. If it breaks while I'm doing this, I'll just return it under the store policy. Lowes page says it has a lifetime warranty--not sure if that is with lowes or manufacturer.

I have a set of those too. They're pretty good.

Our gardener discourages pruning any bush in full bloom. You generally prune after blooming is finished (and there may be a better time, depending on the bush).

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. That definitely looks like something I could use.

I do have one question. The product description didn't say how far out the handles would extend. One of the reviewers mentioned the possibility of cutting branches several feet away. Do you recall how far the handles will telescope?
Mine are Kobalt but they are pretty much the same design. The handles on mine will double in length when fully extended but there are several in between positions. They get pretty long, maybe 3.5ft or more

I looked at the lowes site for Kobalt but didn't see anything in the results that looked like this. Do you recall the specific name of the product? Doubling in length would be more than enough for me--a four foot reach would be great.

Mine are Kobalt but they are pretty much the same design. The handles on mine will double in length when fully extended but there are several in between positions. They get pretty long, maybe 3.5ft or more

I looked at the lowes site for Kobalt but didn't see anything in the results that looked like this. Do you recall the specific name of the product? Doubling in length would be more than enough for me--a four foot reach would be great.
I'll look at them when I get home from work later today.

Hmmm called lowes, and for the Fiskars trimmer, they said returns good only for 30 days, and it would have to be new & unused. So if it breaks, that's my loss. Was hoping for something better than that.

Hmmm called lowes, and for the Fiskars trimmer, they said returns good only for 30 days, and it would have to be new & unused. So if it breaks, that's my loss. Was hoping for something better than that.
I have seen those Fiskars at COSTCO which has an "unlimited" return policy if you are unsatisfied with most (non-electronics) items.

Interesting. A fair amount of reviewers on the lowes site, and even on the fiskars home page, are saying that it will fall apart after a few uses. I guess that was Monday at the plant where they were made? Others seem to like them.

Well, for 35 bucks, if I can finish this job, it would be worth it. Anything more is gravy. If it breaks while I'm doing this, I'll just return it under the store policy. Lowes page says it has a lifetime warranty--not sure if that is with lowes or manufacturer.
My Fiskars have 34" long handles at maximum extension. They're infinitely adjustable. They're pretty strong but they probably wouldn't cut a 1" piece of dry wood. You should be using a saw for that size anyway. I'm pretty sure I could bend or break them if I really tried.

The other thing that's good for pruning is a set of secateurs. Felco is the best brand I've found. They're long lasting but kind of expensive.

I use the Fiskars loppers for big cuts (maybe 3/4" in green wood), a saw for bigger cuts and secateurs for fine cuts. I also use a sabre saw for branches and big roots.

General tips for pruning:
  • look for a YouTube for each type of tree/bush (there may be specific recommendations for that tree/bush)
  • get rid of dead branches and crosses first
  • cut back to a fork
  • don't leave stubs (they're a source of infection and the tree/bush can't "grow over" a stub)
  • stand back and look periodically
  • think about the internal structure (not just the outside shape)
  • within reason, a smaller number of large cuts is better than many small cuts
  • never cut away more than 40% (may kill the plant or encourage over-exuberant growth)
Pruning is a bit of an art. A bad pruning job looks really bad and is also bad for the tree/bush. Doing a good job doesn't take any longer.

I checked. Mine are these, all I could remember is they were blue so I thought they were Kobalt but they are actually Hart. They are 35" when fully extended.

@paulri
Have you considered something like this? Tree trimmer

I have shears like you showed, a tree trimmer, the string trimmer chainsaw and a chainsaw. Welcome to living in the woods! All have been handy for different projects.

Just my $0.02

Believe mine are ARS 30”. Japanese made. Work well and are pretty light.

My parents had a pole that had a high leverage pruning cutter in place of a saw blade. You pulled the rope and it cut the branch.

when you use a long handled lopping pruner shear your arms are spread pretty far apart,thus reducing your leverage when cutting especially thicker branch's ,use a good pole saw ,like corona or silky or even the fiskars pole saw/pruner ,

My son bought me a nice pair of $$$ Fiskars pruning shears a couple of years ago. I was not impressed. Corona FTW.

Scott

Back