LOL some socket 8 reminiscing

Status
Not open for further replies.
found this screamer in my stuff today. 200MHz of x86 goodness

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome! I've had a few of those bad boys kicking around too! My biggest collection is socket 478 stuff though.

i have a dual socket server board with 2 of those.
i replaced the caps and red hat booted like nothing happened.
even though it sat in a garage 15 years before i got it.
those chips are too rare now to scrap for gold.
i deal with lots of e scrap and i still need one to test a board.
at least my board has the correct vrm already!

I ran DOS-based AutoCAD on a 33 MHz 486 at work, 1991 through 1994. I felt privileged - most of the other machines were 20 MHz. If we zoomed too far out of a large drawing, the drawing would regen, which could take 10 minutes. Partway through '94, we got our first Pentium, 66 MHz. I was working on a huge system restoration drawing, which took almost 8 minutes to open on my 486. I copied it to a floppy (3.5"? 1.44 MB? Not sure - we still had lots of the 5-1/4"ers around too), had coworker load it onto the hard drive of the Pentium machine, and we both invoked the drawing at the same time. The Pentium opened it in just under 4 minutes, which was absolutely mind-boggling to us. Of course my 386 took its usual 8 minutes.

A few years later, I'll say early 1999, I saw a computer magazine in 7-11 with "500 MHz is coming!" splashed across the cover. Mind-boggling at the time.

In the classic Sci-Fi novel The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, published around 1966, author Robert Heinlein has Mike the supercomputer running at 12 MHz. I'm sure that was quite unbelievable to the computer-savvy readers of the day.

Originally Posted by kc8adu
i have a dual socket server board with 2 of those.
i replaced the caps and red hat booted like nothing happened.
even though it sat in a garage 15 years before i got it.
those chips are too rare now to scrap for gold.
i deal with lots of e scrap and i still need one to test a board.
at least my board has the correct vrm already!

I have a spare VRM kicking around here too, LOL!

Way back in 2001 I had a dead Pentium Pro system (180 MHz I think). It was in the scrap pile and I pulled it out and took it home for parts (we were allowed to pick and pull for personal projects). Came to find that the processor died but the board was a dual socket. I rounded up a pair of Pro 200s, heat sinks and fans, and studied the jumpers to get it to run. Voila! Dual Pros, running NT 4 (probably SP 4 back then), worked perfectly. Case was junk but I think it was a Micron so it was standard ATX. Went to a now long-closed shop called General Nanosystems and got a basic tower case. Had that system running for a year, then sold it on to a mortgage office for their file server. ...

I had a 386SX running at 40 for years. Got the board and chip at one of those old Ken Gordon show years ago. Anyway when it finally died, I took apart the heat sink. I always figured the chip was a 25 or a 33 that was pushed to 40. It was actually a 16. I'm not sure what impressed me more, the vendor pushing it that hard or Intel making chips that could be pushed that high. There were rumors back then that they were just marking chips 16 that were really 25 or 33s.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I still have a Commodore Vic 20 with a cassette tape drive haha!

I dumped my Commodore 64 with the 1541 disc drive a long time ago, but I still have a bunch of discs with the notch so they were double sided. Wonder if they will still work. Lots of the software is online now though and you can run simulators.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I still have a Commodore Vic 20 with a cassette tape drive haha!

I dumped my Commodore 64 with the 1541 disc drive a long time ago, but I still have a bunch of discs with the notch so they were double sided. Wonder if they will still work. Lots of the software is online now though and you can run simulators.

I remember there was a sweet game for those called Astroblitz. Was like Defender if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back