Logistics questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is GC made in Germany?
Access to special process, additives, ???

Why does Castrol package & import GC for North America since it is a relatively low usage grade (0W30)and they also have the Grp III USA mfg yellow label stuff available and don't even acknowledge that the products are different?

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
Since when has GC been the "factory fill for Audi"? While it has been guessed by some that many/most >2001 USA-bound Audis come with a 0w30 syn, who has determined that it's GC?

On a recent visit to a local Audi dealership, they were recieving a couple of A8L W12s off of a car carrier. I asked one of the salesman to pop the hood so I could have a look. I pulled out the dipstick and found a green, oily substance on the end.
wink.gif

Unscientific?....yes!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by nascarnation:
...and they also have the Grp III USA mfg yellow label stuff available...

AFAIK, that old yellow-label Syntec 0w-30 is only available on the store shelves today because Castrol (or their retailers) didn't do a very good job in getting rid of this "old-stock" prior to selling the newer made in Germany Syntec.

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
Since when has GC been the "factory fill for Audi"? While it has been guessed by some that many/most >2001 USA-bound Audis come with a 0w30 syn, who has determined that it's GC?

I called VWOA a year or so ago and asked some specific questions about which oil I could use in my V6 Passat. One of the things that I was told was that they reccomended Castrol and that it was used as a factory fill in my car. I assume if VW uses it, Audi does as well since they are the same company.

quote:

Why does Castrol package & import GC for North America since it is a relatively low usage grade (0W30)and they also have the Grp III USA mfg yellow label stuff available and don't even acknowledge that the products are different?

Dude,

You have been coming to this board long enough to know that GC is made in Germany because that is where the elves are located. There was an attempt to move the elves to the United States. Unfortunately, Homeland Security had them classified as terrorist. This was due to a glitch in their computers. It is still possible that the elves may arrive in this country. Some board members have claimed to seen elves in this country but the elf spottings usually occur on Friday nights after the board members have consumed some alcohol.

GC is factory fill for Audi and has been imported for the Audi dealers, which is the only other place you can get it other than Auto Zone. The American made 0w-30 never carried the VW/Audi specs required for those cars.

quote:

1. Castrol 0W30 is unprofitable being manufactured in the USA due to low sales.
2. Castrol Exec's decide to import similar 0W30 grade from Germany to save $$.
3. Keen oil savy people pick up on this new German oil, word quickly spreads about this wonder oil, sales pickup rapidly as mysterious oil hoarding begins.
4. Castrol Exec's notice increased sales, decide to start manufacturing in the USA is once again more profitable, and start producing their version of the 0W30, assuming these oil hoarders are complete idiots, won't notice the difference, and will buy anything.
5. Sales drop of as dramatically as they picked up, return to step 1.

Thats my opinion anyways.
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:

quote:

Dude,

You have been coming to this board long enough to know that GC is made in Germany because that is where the elves are located. There was an attempt to move the elves to the United States. Unfortunately, Homeland Security had them classified as terrorist. This was due to a glitch in their computers. It is still possible that the elves may arrive in this country. Some board members have claimed to seen elves in this country but the elf spottings usually occur on Friday nights after the board members have consumed some alcohol.

You are sort of right...occasionally, the Elves ARE allowed into the US for oil formulation consultation purposes...quite frankly, Castrol, to their credit, jumps through a lot of hoops to make it happen....you'd think they would just go to Germany...SO, there are times when board members can indeed see Elves without the sightings being a result of "liquid augmentation." To see them in Germany, you have to know where to find the Black Forest lab (no, that is not a type of dog
grin.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back