Logic of Oil Stashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I began stashing in earnest, I was thing of how long it's going to take me to go thru all my oil, even though I do 3k oci's which for me is pretty much once a month. Well, since I am only a junior member of the oil stash club (probably only about 20-30 gallons), I was thinking about something...

You guys that have several, several gallons of oil, what are you going to do when you get new cars in the future w/ newer API specs? I mean, what about when they are on say...SN, SO, SP? What if the new oils make our current stashes look like liquid poop? What if your new car's warrenty REQUIRES the new spec oil, as it surely will.

That is a good question - especially for those guys with 400/500+ stashes. I think I'll draw the line at a year's supply of oil (at most). Kinda cool - 3k oci's would be about once a month for me too.

BTW: 20-30 gallons = Junior member?!
shocked.gif
Making me feel bad with just 28 quarts...
bowdown.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Well, I'd be at a lot less if I hadn't scored all that Castrol 15W40 Tection Extra back in December. Now I just pick up a quart or two here and there and maybe a gallon when the wife isn't looking (which isn't often).

Yeah, 3k sounds obsessive and although I haven't gotten back my UOA, I know some folks w/ my car are getting wear metals levels more worthy of an 8k oci at just 3k.

As for being a junior member, there are some here who measure their stashes in BARRELS, not gallons!

Post Katrina and Rita ('specially since I'm close to ground zero!) it made good sense as the price of motor oil seemed to rise every week!

Nothing wrong with 3K/3Mo OCI's. Those guys with their 7500-10K OCI's, are just missing out on the finer things in life.
smile.gif
On the flip side, if you're like me and take a digital camera to the auto parts store so you can snap some photos of pretty bottles of oil to make posters out of, well....then you might have a problem.
shocked.gif

quote:

What if your new car's warrenty REQUIRES the new spec oil, as it surely will.

New car? Many guys I know drive "whatever" opting to let their wives drive the new one. My current secondary rides require SG rated oil. People are buying oil for what they are driving, not for what they will drive...

I sat idly by and watched my company go into bankruptcy because they hadn't foreseen the incredible increase in fuel prices and didn't hedge their costs for the next several years.

So, the little light bulb went off in my head and I decided that if I can't get rainchecks for all of the oil that I use and essentially lock my cost down at current day prices,, I'd simply stockpile the oil I'd need for the next several years.

Sure, I have tied my cash up into inventory that my or may not go up in price but what the heck. I simply hung a sign on my oil stash and labeled it "401A" (since it was bought with after tax dollars) and on lonely friday nights I walk out to my garage and count my wealth like the Charles Dickens figure "Scrooge" counted his gold coins... alone and in cold darkness.

OK, maybe that's too much drama. I just wanted to try several products from Schaeffer's so I made the $250 purchase..
grin.gif

quote:

New car? Many guys I know drive "whatever" opting to let their wives drive the new one. My current secondary rides require SG rated oil. People are buying oil for what they are driving, not for what they will drive...

Well, that's great, but you're saying that everyone only plans to use they stash on their own car and not their family's? That's a broad statement and short sighted. I mean, even with my small stash, it's going to take a while to go through my stash. Both my cars are SJ, which means no worries...but I can't forsee something happening to either...like the truck that took out my SH ride. I'm not saying anyone is an idoiot. Just wondering if anyone HAD taken that into account.

I bought up 84 quarts of TropArtic 10W-30 synthetic blend while Dollar Tree still had the stuff last summer. If I haven't gone through all of it by the time I buy my next new car, I won't even hesitate mixing it "hamburger helper" style with whatever's then current. Two quarts of the "old" stuff and three quarts of whatever's current at each oil change won't make ten miles difference in the operational life of the motor.

USE the hoarded oil???? Gee, I never thought of that. I was planning on saving it and passing it on to future generations as a family heirloom.

Some people have a wine cellar. I have an oil garage.

I love to use different types of oils, so I have no desire to stash. The only thing I stocked up on was RedLine. When Advance was unloading it for the cheap I cashed in. I am down to about 14 quarts now. That will last a while as I use it as an additive at maybe 20%

I get nervous only having a years' supply. I seem to get closeouts that aren't applicable to the current season. This delo 30 weight is the best example.
smile.gif

Winter weights I'm in almost a panic over, as I have 15-20 quarts of full syn, 5 of semi-syn, and 10 of dino 5w30. This is looking ahead to next winter as the mid-winter changes are freshly in my vehicles and springtime weights are on deck next for April.

Well, as one who has a little oil in his stash..
rolleyes.gif

My latest car requires SL oil or better.

My stash is mostly for my outfits and my Mom/Dads outfits.

Most of the stash is about 70% SM and 30% SL. So I'm covered for a long time.

I plan to keep both outfits for a long time and they are getting the oil they need and require.

If something happened to either of the outfits, I'd prob buy used as there is very little that I'd buy new these days.
spaz.gif

Plus I'm past a point in my life to take the hit for new car smell unless it's something I'm going to keep forever.

And since everyone needs to have a plan B, I can put out all the oil I have in a garage sale and sell it for $1 a quart and it's gone.

I've sold 2 cases in the last couple months to neighbors for $12 a case. They are happy and I helped them out.

Buy for .49 cents and sell for $1.
fruit.gif

Even told them that but they thought that $1 a quart is a deal (and they are right) and I went through the trouble to get the rebates and such.

Some of it was bought for .49 cents with no rebate.

So, I could sell it if needed to.
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Plus I'm covered for any shortages or price increases which WILL happen in the future IMO..

And I don't have to worry about being a quart short in the middle of a oil change!
lol.gif

I'm changing oil for three vehicles about six oil changes for all three a year. I have about 115 quarts which is a 3-4 year supply and I'll have to tell my wife that I'm in the junior oil stash club. she thought I was the president.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Just wait 50 years and sell it on eBay as an antique.

"Remember when oil came in plastic bottles? And cars needed thick oils like 5W20, unlike the modern -20W0 variety?"

I have no method to my madness. That's why I asked. When I showed up at Advance and bought them out of Tection Extra, I had no idea what I was going to use it for. I ended up using it in my saab after all. I still haven't figured out what to do w/ the Superflo 10W30 I got. I spent yesterday throwing odds and ends into a brew. But really. Even though I change once a month or so, I think I am covered for a LONG time. My wife drives a CR-V that's REALLY easy on oil so I hardly ever change it.... So I have a bit.

LOL, I even have lots of USED oil as I am too lazy to run recycle it. Of course, some of you may want it since it's all M1 5 or 10W30 that was changed at 3k miles!

I usually keep no more than one years supply of oil and filters. I did buy 18 quarts (about 2 years oil) of the Motorcraft 5w20 when Walmart dicontinued it the first time. I didn't believe that I would be able to find it at that price again ($1.58), which is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back