Log Book Record of Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I create documents on Google drive and include detailed info on anything I do, no matter how minor. I then share the document with the owner of the vehicle so that they can reference it at any time.

I keep a spreadsheet on my Mac for both vehicles. Makes it so easy to look back. I enter observation notes on maintenance entries but I don't keep receipts. At first I would scan them into the computer but that got to be to much work. Just having the work, miles, date records is fine with me.

I keep a notebook with every gas fill date, miles, mpg. I also include every maintenance item I do with date, mileage, what was done. And I keep receipts the few times someone else works on it.

Originally Posted By: AmoryBlaine
Does anybody do this, keeping a written account of all repairs and services performed? Always thought it was a great idea. I just started one for my 12 civic, purchased at 7,000 miles this past fall. Carmax service sticker on the windshield showed "last service date" of 10/05/15, at 4,888 miles. I should call and ask what all was done, besides an oil change.

I have repairs logged on a spread sheet that date back to 11/25/84 for my 1985 E-150. It makes life a whole lot easier.

I leave receipts in the glove box. When mom got her 2011 CRV, we discovered that dealerships destroy all receipts stored in the traded-in car. They do it to prevent ID theft.

I use FleetVIP you can get a free version good for 2 vehicles I use the paid subscription as I have a small fleet of vehicles as by my signature
01.gif

I just use note books and record almost everything but not checking the oil and such. Now my boat I can tell you every trip it has been on, who went, the weather, fish caught and every single thing that is done to it. I also do the same for the trailer. I really mean everything

I use a spiral notebook for each car to record fuel consumption, maintenance, and repairs. Receipts are kept in chronological order in a file folder- again, one for each car.

I have always done my own vehicle maintenance and kept records of what I did in a spiral note book plus entries in the OEM maintenance record book. Have never sold a vehicle to a private party. My experience with dealers when trading in a vehicle is that the dealer is not interested in what was done in the way of maintenance. I always try to leave my calling card in various places in the vehicle. In fifty some years of trading in very well maintained cars, I have never had one single individual call me about my trade-ins. Not one.

I have a small book in the glove box for gas and oil. But everything cost wise goes into a program called CARS. It easy and free.

My maintenance/repair logging isn't that great.

The 2002 Ranger does have it's very own spreadsheet, but I sometimes forget to update it, so it's not perfect and there is plenty of missing info. What is there does go back to 2002 tough. I record fluid changes and filter changes, but not fuel consumption, tire rotations/psi, or anything like that.

The 1994 Ranger doesn't have a spreadsheet. Maintenance was unknown and needed to be caught up when I got it. I just do things on a "I think I'll change the diff [or other component] fluid this weekend" basis.

Both trucks do have folders where paper receipts are kept. The 2002 Ranger's folder includes things like the window sticker. The 1994 Ranger not so much...maybe some parts store receipts and the paperwork from the little car lot I got it from.

My friends often make fun of my OCD. I look after 5 vehicles in the family, each gets their own spreadsheet stored on the cloud (OneDrive). All service items (filters, oils, etc...) are sorted by column to track when things have been done, when they need to be done next, what parts were used, inspection notes, etc..

I also keep comments on things like fluid spec, quantity, and misc learnings/tips. This also includes all torque specs from service manuals.

Lastly, I keep documented the various parts I might want to keep an eye out for next time I visit the junkyard, or new parts for the upcoming services on the 5 vehicles that I can bulk buy from RockAuto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back