Loctite in non-automotive applications

While I'm sure Loctite promotes the use of its product in any industry, I have not seen thread lockers recommended for home use cases even though it often makes perfect sense.

In particular, I've noticed that wall mounted towel racks that use a hidden grub screw to mount like to loosen on their own. A dab of blue loctite on these makes them unlikely to become loose again.

Same for bolts on office chairs, especially the arm rests. Loctite keeps it rock solid for basically forever.

Door hardware is also a great use case. The long screws inside handle and deadbolt assemblies often loosen up on their own, and loctite cures that.

Is there a reason why the hardware manuals for things like towel racks and door hardware don't recommend thread locker?

Is there a reason why the hardware manuals for things like towel racks and door hardware don't recommend thread locker?

I would hazard a guess that they don't want to over-complicate the installation instructions for the average/beginner DIYer who might be a bit intimidated by the basics of such an installation. I have also noticed that some screws come with pre-installed thread locker in the form of a blue coating on the threads. Maybe the manufacturer just hasn't had enough complaints about their screws backing out to justify the cost of adding the thread locker to their process.

I do agree that thread locker has a lot of non-automotive applications. I re-tightened the screw that holds my shower/bath valve assembly together way too many times before I finally fixed the problem long-term with loctite blue.

Probably because most people would not have a clue what that was. And would be confused and think they wouldn’t be able to take it off again. I’ve never had anything at home vibrate loose or anything.

I tend to use the green around the house for applications like that. Sliding door handles always seem to be an issue. You could also use red to have some fun with the next homeowner:devilish:

I use the blue pretty much anywhere and everywhere that I don't want to regularly retighten, and anything that came apart. And, firearms, towel racks, tp holders, knobs, and office chairs.... its a must!

I thought that I was the only loctite junkie. I have some neighbors and coworkers that learned about blue too!

Red can be a little tough to disassemble.

I've seen a blue thread locking compound on the mounting screws for my computer hard drive. I'm pretty sure it's pretty common. Some even use it as some sort of proof that an item was messed with if it looks like it's been unscrewed.

I worked with an engineer a long time ago that said "Loctite is for an already failed joint." These are good words to live by in most instances. If proper clamp load (torque) can be achieved then there is usually no need for Loctite. Anti-seize, that's a whole other conversation, especially if you are a mechanic or work on older cars/equipment!!

That being said thread lockers like Loctite do work for "soft" joints.

Just my $0.02

Oh yeah and I wanted to add I think the price of loctite would turn away many people as well. The stuff is expensive so I don’t think anyone would want to buy it if they didn’t have too. Unless the company that had the product you bought provided it with it most people probably wouldn’t use it anyway.

I've seen recommendations to use Loctite Purple when removing links from a watch with a screwed bracelet. The screws tend to loosen once they've been disturbed during the resizing process.

I worked with an engineer a long time ago that said "Loctite is for an already failed joint." These are good words to live by in most instances. If proper clamp load (torque) can be achieved then there is usually no need for Loctite. Anti-seize, that's a whole other conversation, especially if you are a mechanic or work on older cars/equipment!!

That being said thread lockers like Loctite do work for "soft" joints.

Just my $0.02
He must have never worked on anything that vibrated.

Loctite, cotter pins, locking nuts, and self-retaining bolts are the name of the game in my industry, typically redundantly.

Last edited:
I worked with an engineer a long time ago that said "Loctite is for an already failed joint." These are good words to live by in most instances.
I’ve never heard of that but it makes sense somewhat.

in the bike world, carbon fiber frames are cheaply and somewhat sloppily made in China or Taiwan. The bottom bracket cups(if the bike doesn’t use a traditional threaded bottom bracket) or rear chain stay to wheel dropout squeaks due to loose tolerances. The fix for an engineering flaw is green Loctite 608 press-fit compound.

Back