Loctite 518 and gear oil in transmission- issues?

Can anyone tell me what the chemistry and/or other practical issues are in using Loctite 518 anaerobic sealant in a manual trans rebuild? This is to seal the aluminum case flanges to a central steel mounting plate (machined surfaces). Since whatever (hopefully minimal) amount that squeezes out inside the transmission isn't supposed to cure, what are the implications of that getting into the gear oil? Is it harmless or might it gum things up? Or worse, clog oil passages etc? I don't have any experience with this stuff in that environment. All wisdom and experience on the issue is appreciated. Thanks!

This is what's recommended. There's just no info that I can find about what happens when this stuff mixes with oil.

Some people use RTV, but the experts don't recommend it as that actually does cure and bits can break off and plug oil holes.

You'll want to change the gear oil early after a rebuild anyway, right? If you change it out at 1000 km or so, you'll drain any excess Loctite sealant anyway, I suspect.

You'll want to change the gear oil early after a rebuild anyway, right? If you change it out at 1000 km or so, you'll drain any excess Loctite sealant anyway, I suspect.
That was my initial thought too- however, at $30 a quart for gear oil (it wants GL4 oil which is unobtanium in this part of Canada) I was starting to wonder if I could get away without. :)
The only thing that was replaced in it was bearings, so there's nothing that should be shedding any metal, and everything was cleaned meticulously.

I guess I should specify that my main concerns are that somehow this stuff becomes hard/crystalline enough (like red threadlocker) that it might damage bearings, or gooey enough to clog the oiling holes in the mainshaft gears (which would stick there during a drain/refill anyway). Or, I suppose, would affect the lubricity of 2 liters of gear oil enough to cause a problem, which I doubt.

That was my initial thought too- however, at $30 a quart for gear oil (it wants GL4 oil which is unobtanium in this part of Canada) I was starting to wonder if I could get away without. :)
The only thing that was replaced in it was bearings, so there's nothing that should be shedding any metal, and everything was cleaned meticulously.
For the last MTF change, I found some Pennzoil GL4 (Syngear?) at NAPA. (They tried to sell me a GL5 because a higher number is better, right? I insisted on the GL4.)

Anyway, I'm happy with it. Good shifting, even in cold weather.

You have NAPA in the Maritimes, right?

In fact I asked NAPA yesterday if they could still get any GL4 and he looked it up... found that same Pennzoil GL4 in the system, which is the only GL4 product he could find.

He said there was 1 quart of it in Canada. :ROFLMAO:

I'd be fine with that too, but he couldn't say whether they'd ever stock it again. I've even been to the speed shops around here and they had nothing.

Just avoid any excess of sealant, period.
Next, change oil after 1000 to 3000 mls.
However, for other reasons. Any rebuilt
will lead to some metal particles, even if
you just replace bearings. Oil is cheap,
your transmission isn't. No GL-4/MTF in
your area available? Shop on the place
that is called ahhh..... internet.

Just avoid any excess of sealant, period.
Next, change oil after 1000 to 3000 mls.
However, for other reasons. Any rebuilt
will lead to some metal particles, even if
you just replace bearings. Oil is cheap,
your transmission isn't. No GL-4/MTF in
your area available? Shop on the place
that is called ahhh..... internet.
I know this doesn't require a response- it's all good advice after all. I know these general rules of thumb.

My original question, which I'd still love to get an answer to, is what happens to this stuff inside a transmission. I'm sure it either just disperses or at least remains very soft, but it would be great to hear from someone who has seen it first hand. In fact I watched a video of Paul Cangialosi rebuilding a T-5 last night and he used a very liberal amount of the stuff, so I'm not terribly worried about it. Still, it's an oil forum after all and I'd like to learn something from someone who knows first hand.

If gear oil were still $9 a quart, I'd change it after a few hundred miles.

Yes, I'm familiar with the internet ;) The thing that probably only Canadians on here can really relate to is that shipping _anything_ in or to Canada is ridiculously expensive now. $20 of gear oil from Summit shipped to my location will be pretty close to $100 by the time it's at my doorstep. This is the reason I'm doing my research and looking at my options.

How this sealant behaves in a working transmission will inform my decisions about what to put in on the first fill and when to change it out. I hope that clarifies my situation. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts!

Back