Locktite for wood?

I had to replace some hinges on the cabinets in the kitchen; ever since, they seem to loosen up. Is there a Locktite that I could use here? I don't want to epoxy them in place, for fear of needing to replace yet again someday. Something that would prevent it from backing out on its own but could later be broken. [I'm guessing the heat activated stuff might not be the right stuff either...]

Maybe a dab of wood glue or wood finish would work? It won't stick real well to the metal screw but it might have just enough adhesion to do the trick?

hinge.PNG

That's the problem with wood, when you remove a screw and rescrew something, it tends to cut another set of threads into the wood.

So try glue mixed with some saw dust.

I'm not sure. The way I've approached that in the past is to drill out the hole and insert a dowel with wood glue. Once it dries, I drive in the screws. That said, I've never done that on a cabinet. It should still work, but the area is much smaller.

I haven't stripped out the holes (yet), but it is starting to sound like a dab of white glue might do the trick.

The glue and toothpick approach works well as does drilling out and inserting a dowel. In many cases it's just as easy to insert a longer screw, though that may not be possible with a thinner piece (eg cabinet doors) or if the screws themselves are somewhat decorative.

Put a dab of Elmer's wood glue in the screw holes. Gorilla glue is good too.

Another old carpenters trick is to take the screw out, dip tooth picks in wood glue and push several of them in the screw hole and break them off flush. After the glue dries, you'll have more "meat" for the screw to bite into.
Golf tees also work if you are dealing with a larger hole.

That hole is not that big, so you don't need a dowel.
Toothpick dipped in glue is all you need. You can measure and break the tooth pick ahead of time , then dip in wood glue. insert glue coated toothpick and you can screw the hinge in right away.

That hole is not that big, so you don't need a dowel.
Toothpick dipped in glue is all you need. You can measure and break the tooth pick ahead of time , then dip in wood glue. insert glue coated toothpick and you can screw the hinge in right away.
This works good

Remove the hinge/s and spray a tiny bit of water into the holes, put a tiny bit of gorilla glue into the open holes and re-mount the hinges. The water activates the glue so it will expand to fill any gaps in the holes and cure more quickly. Later the screws can be removed if needed without damage.

Remove the hinge/s and spray a tiny bit of water into the holes, put a tiny bit of gorilla glue into the open holes and re-mount the hinges. The water activates the glue so it will expand to fill any gaps in the holes and cure more quickly. Later the screws can be removed if needed without damage.
I have also had luck with plastic wood.

I have had similar hinges like those and the screw in the frames always loosened up on me over time. I think there is too much stress on that one screw.

The toothpick and glue trick works. Another option is a slightly longer screw. Predrill the hole first if you go that route but the first option should do the trick. Just use woodworking glue.

Depending on how stripped the hole is I would first try a couple matchsticks/toothpicks or any other thin piece of wood and see if the screw holds. If that's not enough a proper Dutchman is in order.

Not stripped at all. If that had happened then yes I would have added toothpicks and glue and/or longer screws, that's an old trick.

I probably could reef on it a bit more and maybe it'd hold. Sounds like a dab of white glue might be all that is needed here, certainly can't hurt.

Back